Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2007, 03:13 PM   #1 
Thumper719

4 little lovelies!!

i now have 4 very pretty female bettas!
i bought 2 last night at walmart
(please look at my review of walmart in the reviews section http://fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=11528 )
and they are getting along sooo well with harley and chaquita
i had no idea how huge harley and chaquita were untill i put the other 2 bettas (jasmine and cheryl) in the tank with them
so anyway... cheryl's fins look a bit beaten up, like she was in a fight or maybe she just has fin rot... anyway, i put this medicine for fins in the water and hopefuly that will help
oh, and shes light blue
jasmine is a beautiful dark blue and her anal fin is kinda fanned out like a male betta's
i dont think anything is wrong with jasmine, she looks really healthy

harley is just a flippin pig, omg
i put food in the tank and she eats most of it, i dont think cheryl and jasmine have even eaten anything
should i take out harley when i feed everyone else? she looks a bit bloated right now...

chaquita is just as beautiful as always... um... nothing much to say about her... though she seems alot smarter than harley... HA

so thats my update on the dragon's lair...

:D
Thumper719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 03:30 PM   #2 
MattD

Yo, your tank is 3 gallons. You realize you've tripled the potential bioload for a 3 gallon tank, not to mention crowded it. Guess you didn't learn from the pleco a few days ago.

Expect deaths within a relatively short period of time. I know that's not what you wanted to hear but 'tis the reality of your situation.
MattD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:24 PM   #3 
SST

Bettas are territorial fish, even the females. Those fins may well have been chomped off by another fishie. I had two females in a small tank -- 1.5 gals, I think (my first introduction to bettas) and one almost killed the other in the first hour they were together. Be prepared for fighting, nipping, shredding, and possibly dead fish. You have been lucky so far with having two females together that didn't fight.

If you wanted a school of fish in that tank, then bettas were a bad choice. I think I read somewhere on these forums that 6 females in a heavily planted 10 gal. would work. By having the plants, it gives them a place to hide and get away from their tank mates.

There is a reason that they are sold in those individual cups. Have you ever seen a community tank of bettas at the LFS?

Get another tank. Get the two new fishies outta there and hope that they can live peacefully together in a separate tank. Or get yourself a 10 gal. Or get two large vases/bowls and be prepared to do small daily water changes.

I'm afraid trouble is a brewing in your tank.
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:31 PM   #4 
SST

doh...it was in your other thread where the 6 females in a 10 gal. tank was mentioned. oops....LOL.

Can you tell I'm tired? hahahaha
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:19 PM   #5 
beetlebz

<--- has 6 females in a 10 gallon tank ;)

and to be honest, all of my females have gotten along just fantizzle. i had ONE with agression issues. I just removed her for a week and put her back once the other 5 had established themselves and shes been fine ever since :)

I say just keep a close eye on it. but.. in the near future I really do think you would love to have a 10 gal, and they take up very little room!
beetlebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:40 PM   #6 
Lindsey88

I agree a 10 gallon doesn't take up much room. You could fit one on top of your dresser or on your nightstand. Starter kits really aren't that expensive either. You could ask for one for christmas.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...amily&keepsr=1
Lindsey88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:22 AM   #7 
Thumper719

females dont usualy fight
and these 4 are getting along great
and im going to do water changes more often

the only problem is that harley is eating alot and i dont think any of the other fish have eaten anything
Old 12-09-2007, 10:37 AM   #8 
beetlebz

try dropping a flake or pellet or w/e you feed in one spot, wait for piggly wiggly to go eat, then drop some more else where for the rest of the fish :)

if you feed a sinking food, try spreading them out
beetlebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:59 AM   #9 
Thumper719

i tried that and... piggy wiggly?.... HAHA
anyways, she just ate all the food anyway
think i should take her out when i feed everyone else?
Old 12-09-2007, 11:14 AM   #10 
Falina

I'm not sure who told you that females don't fight, but whoever it was can't have a lot of experience with bettas. Females fight, sometimes more than males, especially in smaller places. Just keep a VERY close eye on them. You've only had them a short while so it's impossible to say how they are getting on so far.

I would suggest daily water changes of 15% with the stocking, and possibly an upgrade on filteration? Not knowing what your current filteration is it's hard to say.

Water quality issues, and agression issues aside, the tank is still crowded in terms of swimming space. You said you can't have another tank, maybe you could ask for one for Xmas, or buy one with any Xmas money you get?

I know all this has been said before, I'm not trying to harp on at you for the sake of it. It's just that we obviously haven't been clear enough before. Really, we're just trying to help. :)
Falina is offline   Reply With Quote