Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #1 
angus

betta food? pellets or flakes?

I'm looking for a good food for Angus. The pet store recommended flakes, but I don't know how much I'm supposed to feed him and I've been reading that pellets are better.

Anyone have any recommendations? Will the flakes be ok till I can get pellets?
angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #2 
fleetfish

Pellets all the way! They are less messy and don't pollute the water as much, plus they usually have more protein in them than flakes. Some good brands are Omega One, New Life Spectrum, and Attisons Betta Pro.

Flakes will be fine if you can't get pellets right away, just a few at a time should be sufficient.
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #3 
Mo

I would recommend Betta pellets such as New Life Spectrum, and Attisons Betta Pro over any type of flake for numerous given reasons regarding how the majority of flakes are less nutritious than the recommended Pellets. They are In My Opinion hard to feed the same amounts every day, and feeding flakes will be somewhat hard due to the fact of the flakes typically sinking almost immediately and scatters across the surface which makes it hard for the Betta to consume all of the flakes, so with multiple flakes throughout the bottom, there will be an accelerat amount of waste, ammonia, etc. And yes, I do not like feeding a primary diet of flakes to bettas as they are known to not fully consume them, it is a challenge to control the amount you feed, there is no specified feeding amount, and bettas are known to let some flakes drop to the bottom and decay, meaning that the organic matter woul lead to an ammonia spike. There is no specified feeding amount, as a good amount to feed daily as you can do with pellets, etc. just a few reasons to list
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #4 
Rosso1011

I'm not sure I saw it mentioned... but most bettas do not even like flake food as a staple. The brands listed above are good pellets. I would try to switch as soon as you can manage. Mo made some excellent points on the effects of flake food on water quality. If the flakes are unopened and you can get to a store soon, I would just return them.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #5 
angus

thank you everyone! I ordered omega one and it should be here Monday. my hubby has the car all weekend so I had to order online. hopefully Angus likes it!
Old 04-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #6 
Mo

Yes, Omega one Betta pellets as a sample diet along with a nutritious, preferably meaty treat such as live/frozen bloodworms, mosquito larvae, mysis shrimp, and brine shrimp would result in more than an optimal diet, most prefered by bettas as there are nutritious foods, and a variety of foods
Old 04-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #7 
angus

Great! Thank you again.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #8 
Mo

Your welcome. I'm glad to help!

Good Luck!
Old 04-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #9 
Pogthefish

Also, what are you guys thoughts on tetra min tropical crisps? thats what i feed to all of my aquariums and its easier to measure how much they eat that regular flakes, and they are easier for older bettas to see than tiny pelets, and i dont even have to break them up for my tiny fish they just nibble on them till they are gone.they float for awhile and when a big fish wants one they grab one and go somewhere hidden to eat it, and the little guys nibble on them right at the surface till they fall (slowly) and they nibble them on the trip to the ground till they are gone, and if they missed any they are big on cleaning it up from the gravel.

so it has advanteges of flakes and pellets.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #10 
Pogthefish

is it safe to get mosquito larvae from buckets in your backyard?
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote