Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #1 
Cyndih70

New Crowntail Betta owner w/questions

So, day before yesterday I picked out a beautiful Crimson and Purple, crowntail Male and decided to name him Sushi. I have him in a 3.5 gallon, cylinder tank with filter and heater. Picked him up a floating log and some silk leaves for him to lay on. He's seems to be extremely happy. He swims all over the place, comes to the top of the tank when I open it, but I have a couple of concerns.

First and foremost...Sushi hasn't been eating. I have given him pellets and I have given him freeze dried blood worms. He doesn't seem to be showing signs of eating, but then again, he might be sneaking some nibbles in when I'm not looking.

Secondly...I bought light blue, dark blue and red, flat glass marbles for the bottom of the tank and he seems to really like to hang around them. He doesn't flare up, but it looks like he's staring at something, from time to time and his fins all pop up. I could be just imagining things and being overly concerned about nothing, but I want him to be a happy fish and want to make sure I'm doing everything right to provide the best life for him.

Like I said, he's very active and he's very curious. So, there are no signs of lethargy. Just wanting some opinions from other Betta owners.

Thanks in advance!
Cyndih70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #2 
Beall

He may not eat for the first week in his new home. this is normal. As far as the flaring, he sees himself in a reflection and flares up like its another betta.
Beall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #3 
BethsBettas

Sounds like he's going to be a very happy boy. As far as eating goes, it may take a week or so before he eats-- but it's a whole new home for him, once he settles in that should fix itself.

On the flaring, that's a good sign! He's active and checking everything out, protecting his new diggs from any silly reflections! So long as it's not constant, I would say he's just curious.
BethsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #4 
CasperandSunny

I have a crowntail just like that. Crimson and purple, his name is Bowser. When a brought him home, he didnt eat for the first 2 days. I dont think it is somthing to worry about since he is so active and happy, he will eat when he gets hungry. As for as the rocks, I had a tank with them like that with another betta, sadly he died, but I was told from other betta lovers one here that he may see his reflection on them, and they stressed him out severly. I bought some black gravels, and added about a dozen or so of them to the new bettas tank, for contrast, and he is really happy. You may want to add some little gravels of either red, purple or black, they help pop out his colors. Trust me you will love it, a big bag is like 4 bucks at walmart. Just be sure to wash the glass rocks and gravel with about a tablespood of salt, and hot HOT water, then rinse well and treat the water.
CasperandSunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:19 PM   #5 
Cyndih70

Great news! I'm just a worry wort! He's my first little fish and i already love him to death. He swims up to the top of the tank to greet me when I open it and he's managed to steal my heart....so I want him to be happy.

I wasn't sure if the flaring fins, at the aquarium marbles was a good thing or bad thing. I've read some people create this on purpose with a mirror and to me that sounded like teasing. Some say its good for a Betta to "stretch" his fins once in a while.

I appreciate the feedback and will look forward to keeping up with folks on this forum. I'll post a pic of Sushi in the near future!!
Old 04-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #6 
CasperandSunny

[quote=Cyndih70;1046151]Great news! I'm just a worry wort! He's my first little fish and i already love him to death. He swims up to the top of the tank to greet me when I open it and he's managed to steal my heart....so I want him to be happy.quote]

Thanks how I feel about my boy, he is in my bathroom, it is easier to keep him warm in there, and he is super funny, he just makes me smile evey time I see him, Always up top ready for bloodworms, and loves to flare his fins at me. I can sometimes get him to just up out of the water a bit and nit at my finger, always funny. Good luck with him, he sounds like a very happy fish. Gotta show me some pics of him, since he sounds similar looking to Bowser.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #7 
Vaughan06

Try crushing a pellet and dropping the small fragments in. For awhile my Delta tail Gamma wouldn't eat. I would crush his pellets and he'd eat the smaller pieces.
Vaughan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #8 
CasperandSunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaughan06 View Post
Try crushing a pellet and dropping the small fragments in. For awhile my Delta tail Gamma wouldn't eat. I would crush his pellets and he'd eat the smaller pieces.

Thats funny you have a betta names betta, My mom just calls her betta, betta, its a good name.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #9 
Cyndih70

Vaughn.. are you current USAF Security Police? Myself and husband both former SP's.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:52 PM   #10 
Cyndih70

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperandSunny View Post
. Gotta show me some pics of him, since he sounds similar looking to Bowser.

Just posted a couple photos.