Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #1 
Chrexis

Started an fish-in cycle...

So I started an fish-in cycle, how often should I change the water/how much per change without having a water testing kit. It's a 5.5 gallon tank, with a filter and heater keeping it at a steady 80 degrees.
Chrexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #2 
Mo

You change the water when the ammonia ever goes over 0 with a 90% water change
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:42 PM   #3 
Chrexis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrexis View Post
So I started an fish-in cycle, how often should I change the water/how much per change without having a water testing kit. It's a 5.5 gallon tank, with a filter and heater keeping it at a steady 80 degrees.
^^
Old 04-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #4 
Mo

With one adult male Betta you are aiming at one 50%- one 90% water change daily, ideally with a fish in cycle you would want a testing kit. And I would highly recommend hat you get one so you can ensure that ammonia/nitrites don't reach harmful levels
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #5 
ZergyMonster

If it is only a single betta in a 5 gallon, it will take a while for the ammonia to start going up. I do a 50% and 100% for my 3 gallon each week so I say do a 60% and 70% each week and you will be doing alright.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:04 PM   #6 
wystearya

I'll just second the suggestion that you invest in a good testing kit. Ammonia and nitrite can spike during cycling and there is no way to know without a test kit.

Also, once cycled it is good to check the tank (maybe once a week or so) just to make sure the cycle is stable and that the nitrAtes are not too high.

I wish you the best of luck!
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:27 PM   #7 
Chrexis

I appreciate the information! I will be investing into a good water testing kit, and would also like to apologize if it came off a little douche-ish with the bold large print.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:32 PM   #8 
fishman1126

im asking if i have a 5 gallon tank, with 2 fish, (filters, heaters ect.) will i still need to change the water? also, how do i test the amonia levels , with just ph paper?
fishman1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #9 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrexis View Post
I appreciate the information! I will be investing into a good water testing kit, and would also like to apologize if it came off a little douche-ish with the bold large print.
For a cycling tank, OFL, whose opinion I respect enormously, suggests two 50% changes per week, using a gravel vacuum for one of them. :) Of course, a test kit is still important. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman1126 View Post
im asking if i have a 5 gallon tank, with 2 fish, (filters, heaters ect.) will i still need to change the water? also, how do i test the amonia levels , with just ph paper?
Yes. You always need to change the water. I would do one 50% change per week for a 5 gallon with two bettas.

PH strips are inaccurate even testing pH - a drip test is more accurate. They certainly won't test ammonia. You need to buy an actual ammonia test kit if you want to test for ammonia levels. Remember that nitrate and nitrite are important too.

If you can afford it, the API master test kit is the way to go.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote