Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2012, 11:46 PM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Grrr Ghengis is constipated!!

How I don't know. When? 2 weeks ago. Right now he is in a 1 gallon for quarantine, I've tried epsom salt for 2 weeks.

He's been constipated for 2.5 weeks. He's bloated, no pineconing, begging for food like a starving begger, I've fed sparingly... I don't want him to die, but I don't want him to starve!! The most he has pooped is an itty bitty strand not worthy of saying "yay he pooped" but more like "That's it?!". I've tried flaring sessions, epsom salt, many water changes...

WHAT could it be?! And should I go ahead and attempt the pea method? I never want to use it but it is the only thing available to me as a "laxative" for the betta.

he won't die but he won't poop. Geesh.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:48 PM   #2 
Luimeril

can you get frozen daphnia(sp?)? i heard that's a laxative for them, and much safer than peas.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:51 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

No :( we suck. lol. Even edmonton didn't have anything o_O and by the time it would get home it would all be defrosted >< I'm mad at the non-pooper he keeps begging and jumping to get me to feed him hahaha....
Old 04-14-2012, 12:01 AM   #4 
Luimeril

you can try the pea, since fasting and Epsom salt didn't work.... take ONE frozen, plain pea. put it in a bowl of water, and microwave it for 10 seconds. shell it, chop it into TINY bits(i smush it as well), and feed it to him. he should pass a MASSIVE poo...
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:06 AM   #5 
Sena Hansler

GOOD xD He needs to. He's so bloated, he LOOKS like a pea :/ a butterfly VT pea I've just never used the pea method heh and ran out of ideas.. thanks =D
Old 04-14-2012, 12:51 AM   #6 
littlegreen

Good luck!
littlegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #7 
Sena Hansler

thanks So, last night he wouldn't eat - he was too tired I put him into the 10 gallon divided with a male on the other side. The bottom is clear, I have some live plants in there, and ornaments... This morning he eargerly chased my finger so I tried again - and sure enough the greedy bugger ate what I gave him for the pea Now... Just waitin' for the poopin'

I would've prefered daphnia, but, work with what I got
Old 04-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

question... how long does it take to kick in?
Old 04-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #9 
Bettafeathers

Have you tried Aquarium Central in Edmonton for frozen daphnia? I know they have a whole refrigerator full of frozen foods. I can't tell you for sure if they have the daphnia though. If you haven't tried there, maybe giving them a call and seeing if they stock it might be a plan? I see you've said that it'll defrost by the time you get it home...try packing it on ice in a cooler? I don't know if it's detrimental to the foods to melt/refreeze. I live out in the boonies so I feel your pain with the melting of frozen foods!

Good luck!
Bettafeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

We don't have a cooler xD plus we'd have a heck of a time getting in and out of edmonton LOL. It takes probably a half hour or so to find a place we were looking for, half hour to hour to get out since traffic is lovely then the hour some drive back.

I'm not one for re-freezing stuff.

We'll see how this goes :/ although I'm unsure how long it'll take for the pea to kick in