Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #1 
KKBella

Dropsy? Eye popped and lethargic

Yesterday my 1+ year old blue male betta's eye popped out and got very lethargic. His color is not quite normal either (more gray and black spots) and he's a bit red and white around the popped eye/gill area. I noticed his fins haven't been as healthy looking the past couple weeks but has been fine besides that. Based on the disease descriptions post I think he might have dropsy. He did not eat yesterday, but today he came up to the surface and ate 3 pellets.

He's in a 3 gallon, filtered, heated tank. He eats Hikari Betta Bio-Gold Baby Pellets mostly, as well as freeze dried blood worms and brine shrimp.

I didn't find the exact medicines recommended in the link, but here's what I'm doing:

Aquarium Solutions Betta Revive (Just put that in)
API Aquarium Salt (also just put that in)
Daily water changes

I also bought but haven't tried yet:
API Melafix
Sentry Maradel

Do I also put in the Tetra AquaSafe Water Conditioner with each water change and treatment?

Should I remove the activated carbon filter with the Betta Revive? The Melafix bottle says to remove it for that medicine.

Any other suggestions/ideas?
KKBella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #2 
aqua001

Do not use melafix as it is known to kill bettas. He had popeye before he's eye popped and does he have raised scales? If so it is dropsy but otherwise is not. He probably lost his color because of stress and I would think the reddish coloring is blood from the popped eye? Have you checked out that mystery disease Sukara posted? The grayish thing seems related. How often did you change the water before his popped eye? If it has not been changed enough it may be the cause of popeye. Pics would REALLY help.
aqua001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:22 PM   #3 
KKBella

Aqua- Thanks for the suggestions. I will return the melafix.
The other medicine I didn't post correctly. It's Mardel Maracyn Oxy. I was looking for the antibiotic one, but this was the one I could find at the pet store. The main ingredients are chlorine oxides

He does not have the mystery disease fortunately.

He has not pineconed, but his scales and fins are not looking good and is lethargic which is why I think it's gone beyond simple popeye. Also, he's got big white flakes coming off his head/gill area. I'll try to get pics when he wakes up. He did eat today (didn't yesterday) and went up for air a few times. He usually sleeps on/by his heater but now he's sleeping in the bottom of the tank inside his pineapple house.

I think it was a water quality issue that got out of hand. I haven't been changing the water as frequently lately. Was trying to do it once a week complete change, but lately has gone a bit longer.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:03 AM   #4 
KKBella

Here's the pics. Some of the white stuff on his face had come off just before this pic.
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2012, 01:21 AM   #5 
Luimeril

o-oh, gawd. poor baby. ;n; that looks painful...

i know epsom salt is supposed to help popeye and is used in dropsy cases.... i'd be worried about it irritating that wound, though...
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:37 AM   #6 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Mardel Maracyn-Oxy is a non-antibiotic fish medication for the treatment and control of the symptoms associated with common bacterial, fungal and viral infections of fresh and saltwater fish. Effective treatment against true fungal infections of fish and eggs as well as common forms of bacterial fin and tail rot. 4 oz treats 230 gallons.
Active Ingredients: Stabilized chlorine dioxide.
Symptoms:
Fungus
Whitish tufts of cotton-like material found on fin, tail and body at sites of injury or on developing eggs.
Bacterial Diseases
Clamped fins, swollen eyes, heavy or rapid breathing and/or patchy coloration.

It sounds like it might help withe the swollen eye. But this part is kinda worrisome: Should fish exhibit signs of distress, neutralize the medication by using an aquarium dechlorinator. Follow the manufacturer's directions for dosing. I have used it before though with no ill effects. It didn't work for what I was trying to treat though.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:13 AM   #7 
lilyth88

Quote:
Popeye
•Symptoms: One or both eyes will swell and bulge out. It in itself can also be a symptom of Dropsy.
•Treatment: Usually not fatal if treated, but your betta might lose an eye. Conservative: If the swelling is extreme then use ES first. Perform 100% daily water changes. You may be able to treat the popeye with just Epsom and clean water. However, if the swelling goes down but the eyes remain cloudy/white, then switch to Aq.Salt at 1tsp/gal or use medications. Do not combine Aq.Salt with medications but you can continue to use ES during medical treatments. Medication: If ES or Aq.Salt do not do the trick or it is a serious case of popeye, then combine the ES with API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API General Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Mardel’s Maracyn.
^^
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote