Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2012, 12:03 AM   #1 
KadenJames

Petco selling betta FRY now?! (Lots of pictures)

I was strolling through ny local petco (again... In my defense I had 5 petpal store credits. xD) when I saw a new addition to the Betta Lounge area. I looked closer, and I saw stacks upon stacks of BABY bettas. I gasped, and my boyfriend's reaction was "Oh, here we go again...." They were only 1.99... And they were SO tiny and adorable, and depressed, I simply had to get some. I spent about 15 minutes sorting through them all, and decided on these three-

Doubletail cambodian-? Hopefully will turn into full red.

Salamander butterfly-?

Who knows what this little guy will be... My boyfriend chose him because he's the smallest... Named "Squirt." LOL

They are all currently acclimating in one of my spare spawning tanks.

I've got some microworm cultures being shipped in a day or two, and I've got some brine shrimp on hand. Hopefully all of these kiddos will grow up strong and healthy. They're a little less than a half inch big.

This just makes me sad, and angry. It isn't easy raising betta to adulthood, these little guys don't stand a chance in the typical bowl - with - flakes environment. :/ if only we could ban together and save them all.

Any name suggestions for the DT and salamander? Sorry for the crappy pics, they were taken with my phone on the go. Heehee.
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:07 AM   #2 
Luimeril

they've been selling babies. ;n; it's so sad. i want one, but thankfully, PetCo's 40 minutes in the OPPOSITE direction of EVERYTHING ELSE. or i'd have a few. :I

since gender's unknown, give them unisex names. like.... Alyx and Chrys. :V cause i like Y's in place of I's. xD
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:08 AM   #3 
Ramble

Wow, they're tiny! Good luck with them!
Ramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:45 AM   #4 
MrVampire181

I have a ton of spawns under my belt and it's still difficult :/ It makes me mad. We work heard to raise these fish...
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #5 
Pogthefish

what do you differently with these i might get one :D
I know that uts bad and i often see the babies DEAD! (as well as the adults) but i want to try raising one maybee
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #6 
Raspberry Betta

Wow, I got my betta from Petsmart. (I don't know of a Petco in my area). Good luck with these!
Raspberry Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:47 PM   #7 
Pogthefish

how do you raise a baby betta?
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:36 PM   #8 
Tikibirds

They had them for a while now..although in the past I have found some very young females. The baby ones I have seen have been pretty small

Quote:
what do you differently with these i might get one :
Some of them are too young to eat adult pellets but petco fails to inform customers of this. You may need to either crush the pellets or feed them baby brine shrimp or some other fry food. My could eat crushed pellets. I also used frozen bloodworm.

They also need a heater. Adults do too but it seems to be more critical for babies.

I will admit, it is pretty awsome to watch them grow up.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 04-14-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #9 
KadenJames

I've seen very young bettas in the stores too, but I've never seen them actually labeled and advertised as "Baby Betta." :/
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #10 
fleetfish

I jumped on the baby bandwagon today too >__<
The females being sold at the LFS are tiny little things, and I'm not even sure if the one I picked out is even a girlie. I'm going to feed her mainly frozens and crushed pellets for now since I can't get live cultures.

Pog, there's a thread in the breeding forum on raising babies you may want to read through :)
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote