Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2012, 01:28 PM   #1 
Sheldon31

Dwarf gourami?

This is for future reference so not jumping into anything yet. Just wondering about the care of dwarf gourami?

Min tank size? Some places saying 5 others saying 10.

Food?

Water conditions? Temp, ph etc.

What do they like to have in their tank? Like bettas like planted tanks..

Are they solitary or will I have a lonely fish if I was to get one on his/her own?

Male and female diferences?

Suitable tank mates if any?

I also love fish with personality, I love betta's because they interact with me and I feel Kyon and I are friends rather than he's just a pet. Are gourami as full of personality?

Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:32 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

Dwarf gourami are a really neat fish, but they have some major problems. Due to severe inbreeding they are much weaker than they were a few years ago. Many that come into the states are bred in southern Asia and carry the dwarf gourami iridovirus. It is incurable and has been shown to be communicable to other fish in your aquarium. For this reason I don't suggest getting a dwarf gourami.

However, this is a wonderful alternative: the honey gourami. They are just a little smaller, but they are more peaceful and can be kept in groups of 1 male and 2-3 females in a tank. Like all fish they enjoy a planted tank and do best with floating plants (as all gourami do). The minimum size tank for these little guys as well as the dwarfs is 10 gallons. I've even seen places recommend 20 gal. They can easily be kept with tetra and other sedentary fish. I plan to put a gourami in my 29 gal softwater community. Great fish they are!

The rest of your questions can be answered by reading these profiles as I can confirm the info in them is reliable:
TFK Profile for Dwarf Gourami (Trichogaster lalius)
Seriously Fish - Trichogaster lalius (Dwarf Gourami)
TFK Profile for Honey Gourami (Trichogaster chuna)
Seriously Fish - Trichogaster chuna (Honey Gourami)
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #3 
Sheldon31

Thanks. Does that include the ones that are imported into the UK though? Will take a look. This is all for future reference. I just was wondering about them if I do get a larger tank in the future :)
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #4 
thekoimaiden

It depends on where you are getting them. If you can find a local breeder their stock will most likely be free of the disease. Unless the UK has pretty strict QT processes (you need like 6 months or something to eliminate this disease) then there will likely be some fish with the virus in the UK. Finding a hobbyist breeder is probably going to be your best bet.

Dwarf gourami were my first choice for my 29 gal community, but due to the risk of this virus, I gave up on that dream. But they are still gorgeous!
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote