Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #51 
Sakura8

Bahamut's guide will be integrated into the current sticky or into a new one that has a step by step process such as the one I posted above.

Addressing concerns about fish-in cycling: let's face it, most of us cycle fish-in. Therefore, it's important to include information on how to do this type of cycling.

Fish food and shrimp may not be the ideal method for fishless cycling but I feel they should still be included because pure ammonia is hard to come by. I myself have been to several hardware stores and have not found any and I live in a big city with many hardware stores. Someone living in a small town might not have any other choice but using those methods for fishless cycling.

Last edited by Sakura8; 07-16-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #52 
bettalover2033

So this will be a sticky with your added information you just posted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Bahamut's guide will be integrated into the current sticky or into a new one that has a step by step process such as the one I posted above.

Addressing concerns about fish-in cycling: let's face it, most of us cycle fish-in. Therefore, it's important to include information on how to do this type of cycling.

Fish food and shrimp may not be the ideal method for fishless cycling but I feel they should still be included because pure ammonia is hard to come by. I myself have been to several hardware stores and have not found any and I live in a big city with many hardware stores. Someone living in a small town might not have any other choice but using those methods for fishless cycling.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #53 
Sakura8

Do you want the same info that I added, with the step by step guide? Is that guide okay? Or if there is someone else out there who has written a step by step cycling guide, please PM it to me.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #54 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I can write one up tonight. Can I use some parts of yours, Sakura? Just wanna cut some stuff and add some stuff, like average levels of things, and my mould removal tip for food cycling.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #55 
Sakura8

Yes, you can use some of mine, Olympia. :)
Old 07-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #56 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
You know I hold you in highest regard, Sakura, and respect your knowledge and experience. But your cycling treatise, while shorter, is not any better than imntbatmnan's. I try to put myself in the place of a new keeper, perhaps young and incompletely educated. From this viewpoint, I find it hard to understand.

Quote:
I can't disagree. But this is not a technique that I would have been comfortable executing when I first started keeping fish. I'm not convinced that it can be safely practiced by most new keepers. Nor would I recommend it as a first choice.

Quote:
Regrettably, this may be true. But it should be made clear that this is not the best option. Pure ammonia is available online and can be ordered through most retail outlets. If Olympia's method of safeguarding against mold/fungus appears effective, I will gladly change my mind about this and recommend fish or food, notwithstanding it is a smelly mess.

More important than ammonia production is finding a suitable way of "seeding." This makes fish-in cycling less onerous and dangerous, and it would speed up a fishless cycle. If anyone would care to experiment with the new products which claim to harbor autotrophic bacteria, this would be a major advancement and contribution to our understanding of cycling methodology.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #57 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

My method: After the cycle, just bomb the tank with Pimafix, before adding any fish. I kept it at recommended dosage, and my fungus was gone in two days (I cycled with bloodworms at first ). Then, for any worries about that medication and labyrinth organs, you do a 75% change at the end of the cycle anyways, right? So that clears out the medicine well enough.
I think it's important to realize as long as you can't SEE the fungus, you are good.. Because like it or not, that fungus lives in everyone's tanks, just in a normal tank there isn't enough to feed a large colony, when you see the fuzzies, you've given the fungus a food source, and the fuzzies is actually the fungus reproducing.

Hal, I take it you don't mind me skimming cycling threads and pulling bits of your information? Everyone gets due credit, don't worry. ^-^

ALSO: At Sakura's request, I will talk about all types of cycling. With proper warnings about each type. Because, I already mentioned this, as did Sakura, not everyone can find pure ammonia. It's illegal in Australia, because people can make bombs out of it. I'm sure it's illegal in many places other than that, and I think it's important to consider we ARE a global community.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #58 
bettalover2033

So this thread will still be presented in a sticky with the added information of Sakura's, Hallyx's, and olympia's?
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #59 
dramaqueen
Banned

Maybe not really RECOMMEND shrimp or fish food but add it to the info as an option.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:34 PM   #60 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Okay guys here are the methods I will go over, should be done the guide by tomorrow/Wednesday, then I'll send it to Sakura and she can look over it. I already made the things you'll need section and a few other parts, this is just a little tidbit.
I included planted tank since that is one of the original choices, I will be very brief on that section since we have sooo many plant guides already on here. Also put the filter in bucket cycle in, since I know -someone- on here favors it a ton. And it does have it's merits.

Step One: Choose a method

We have 5 methods of getting your tank safe for your fish. I will discuss all of them, their positives and negatives. It’s up to you to decide which would be the easiest or best way for you to do. The end result is the same whichever method you choose.

1. Fishless cycle using pure ammonia:

2. Fishless cycle using fish food or a raw shrimp:

3. Fish in cycle:

4. Planted tank:

5. Fishless bucket cycle: