Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2012, 12:30 AM   #1 
WaterWings

Serious Emergency!

So, the other day my shrimp died.. I don't exactly know why, he was untouched just curled up on the bottom of the tank.

I decided to get a new shrimp, this time one called a Chameleon Shrimp. It is a male and has rather large claws. The girl said he'd be fine in my tank etc. Anyway, today when I came home almost all of my Betta's tail fins were gone, (not the front, or bottoms the tops and backs).

I immediately secluded my new shrimp, convinced he was the wrong doer, but then I looked at my filter.. I had cleaned the tank just before I put the shrimp in and I had accidentally put the sponge up a little high and a few cm of filter was showing. I also put the filter on high because I stirred up a little stuff that I wanted to get rid of.

The amount of damage that was done to his fins was extensive, I have a hard time thinking the shrimp is responsible now, plus i've seen the shrimp try to nip at him if he gets to close but my Betta swims away fast.

Any thoughts? What does the damage from a filter look like? I have a 5 gallon tank.
WaterWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:37 AM   #2 
bettalover2033

Well first of all, the damage of a filter would look a bit like this:

Maybe a but less in chunks but it would almost look shredder. I have never owned chameleon shrimp before, but I know that any shrimp is "predator" in a way. They would try to grab anything.

I highly doubt it was the shrimp though. I would still keep him secluded for now.

I would suggest fixing the filter the way you had it before will less power going. From the information you have given I would conclude that the filter is the problem since it did only happen on both dorsal and caudal fins.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #3 
WaterWings

More Info

I have added some pictures to try to help explain what happened...

thanks so much for your reply! I fixed the filter as soon as I noticed it, and turned the speed down as well. I just hope he's okay, he's eating fine but acting a little skiddish..

Please note in the shrimp picture, I had a glass fish bowl inside the tank, those are bubbles along the edge of the glass not yucky stuff lol.

The spear plants have some spots, I had the beginning of a snail infestation which is why I did the thorough clean to remove them all...

Sorry just trying to give as much detail as possible. I love Red, :'(. Aka Dayman.
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #4 
WaterWings

More Info

This was Dayman before his situation, just to show the extent of the damage.

*sniff* Will his fins ever be okay? Do they grow?
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #5 
lilyth88

Keep the water clean and his stress down. You can try some AQ salt for a few days. 1 tsp/gallon, dissolve before putting in.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #6 
WaterWings

Is the salt okay with the shrimp?

I don't have him back in the tank at the moment, but I feel bad for punishing him in the small glass tank if he can be in a much bigger place.

Or should I let Dayman get better before trying to introduce him again?
Old 04-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #7 
lilyth88

I don't know about salt and shrimps. I'd say just keep them separate til your betta is on the mend.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #8 
lilyth88

Don't continue the AQ salt longer than 10 days so you don't damage his labyrinth organ.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #9 
WaterWings

Thanks so so so much for the help. From the pictures, do you have any idea what I should lean towards as the problem?
Old 04-15-2012, 01:06 PM   #10 
lilyth88

I couldn't tell you. I have had bettas damage their fins from filters, but that shrimp does look imposing. I just don't know.