Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #1 
KasaraWolf

Lolita has Ick-Anything Else I should do?

Alrighties, so it seems Lolita, my little female has somehow got ick. I noticed the white spots on her yesterday, never saw them on her the other day at all before I went to a convention here in town.

She was still her normal self yesterday, not as hyper, but still fairly active. Her fins were not clamped and she was eating like a pig yesterday. I ended up moving her to my 2.5 Gallon tank that had a thermometer, I also went out and bought another heater to control the temperature. I put in some Super Ick Cure and followed the instructions on the bottle and went to bed some hours later, watching to see if the medication was affecting her badly. When it wasn't, I just went to sleep.

Now today, her fins are so clamped its sad ): I changed out her water, because she still had the ick on her and the medication seemed to not be doing anything for her. She just sits at the top and doesn't move. She still eats, but not as much as yesterday. The heater is currently at 85 degrees, and I added a teaspoon of salt into her water before I put her back in the tank. It doesn't look like their is ick on her still, but I can't really tell because her fins are clamped and she won't face me so I can see if its still on her face. Is there anything else I could do for her to help her get better? Am I missing some steps? I have never really dealed with ick before...
KasaraWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #2 
ZackyBear

>>>>>.Ick
•Symptoms: Betta has white dots (looks like he was sprinkled with salt) all over his body and head, even eyes. Lethargic, No appetite, Clamped Fins, Might dart and scratching against decor
•Treatment: You can treat Ick either conservatively or with medication. Ick is a parasite. Because ick is contagious, it is preferable to treat the whole tank when one fish is found to have it. Ick is temperature sensitive: Leave your betta in the community tank and raise temperature to 85 F. Then you can choose to treat with salt or medication. Conservative: Add 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration. Perform daily 100% water changes to remove fallen parasites before they can reproduce. Replace the water with the right amount of salt. Do not continue this treatment for more than 14 days. If it fails or you do not want to use salt, treat with Jungle’s Parasite Clear, API Super Ick Cure, or Kordon Rid Ich Plus. If your betta lives in a jar/bowl, then it can be difficult to heat the water. There are heaters for smaller containers, but you can also float the quarantine container in a larger heated tank during treatment. Do a full water change every day and add an appropriate amount of medication to the water.
•Alternative Treatment: Personally, I have not found Ick medications very effective. I prefer to use PP to treat all external parasites. In the past, I have used 3 or 4 different ick medications unsuccessfully, and every time I resort to PP which works like a charm. Do lots of research before using PP as it is a more dangerous chemical than most. <<<<

Taken from here http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73332

I think you should try the AQ Salt Treatment if the medication isn't working!

Last edited by ZackyBear; 04-23-2012 at 04:27 PM.
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #3 
laoshun

easiest way is to isolate in a cup with some AQ salt and do daily changes while sitting in a 85-86 heated tank. My betta was jumpin up and down in no time when i thought he would stay clamped forever he even was developing fin rot but it quickly went away along with the ick.
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote