Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #1 
phil816

Ok i hope our 2nd betta isnt dying! Please Help. -Cloud of bubbles??

our 1st betta died suddenly we believe due to heat, now on to our second. We just bought last week, and has been blowing bubbles into a cloud also doesnt really eat much... we have tried so hard to do everything right but not having the best of luck.
Attached Images

phil816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #2 
callmeconfused

I'm not sure about the eating. How much are you offering him? Their stomach is only as big as their eye. As for the bubbles....Congrats! lol. Bubble nests are how make bettas say they are Happy and Ready to breed. When they breed, it's where the males place the eggs.
callmeconfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #3 
lilyth88

Do those bowls have heaters? Also, you should be doing daily 100% changes in an unfiltered tank that small.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #4 
lilyth88

As for the bubbles, those are fine.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #5 
phil816

@callmeconfused we are offering him like 5 or 6 pellets twice a day.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #6 
phil816

@lilyth88 no we do not have a heater. We just have the fish bowl and we use filtered watered and the conditioner drops. We also change water once a week.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #7 
lilyth88

That is far too much food. Their stomach is the size of their eyeball. 1-2 pellets twice a day is enough. Also, please get a heater. Bettas are tropical fish and do not do well with large temperature fluctuations and/or cold water. He also needs more frequent water changes. Just trying to help.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:16 AM   #8 
Bombalurina

Hi Phil. :)

You are going to need a heater. Bettas are tropical fish and need water in the 78-82 range for optimum health. :) If your bowl is less than a gallon, I suggest upgrading ASAP to at least a gallon, more if you can. Less than a gallon is not safe to heat for you or your fish.

I would up your water changes to two 50% changes per week and one 100% change at the end of the week. For instance, a 50% change on Monday, another one Thursday and then a 100% change on Saturday. Don't use filtered water - take it straight from the tap and add dechlorinator. Filtered water doesn't have the minerals a fish needs. :)

I would definitely cut back on feeding - maybe 3 pellets twice a day, maximum. Remember that his stomach is the size of his eye, so don't overfeed. Also make sure that you remove uneaten food. Don't be worried if he isn't eating much yet - bettas sometimes take a while to settle in enough to want to eat. :)

I would also suggest covering the top of that bowl with clingwrap and poking a couple of air holes in it. Bettas can and do jump, so an open-topped bowl like that could lead to disaster.

I hope this helps. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #9 
littlegreen

I'd say that maybe the space is too small. You can get get a much bigger space for him for under $20 at walmart or other chain stores. He'll be way happier!
littlegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:35 PM   #10 
Sheldon31

I think he's happy with what he's got. Probably because he came from a cup in a fish store with a few oz of water, he'd probably be happy with anything! But yeah, these guys nailed it. You NEED and MUST GET a heater. Soon he will start suffering with the cold, if it's hot where you are now it's probably ok for the time being but they are tropical fish. I hate fish bowls in general so I'm biased but get yourself a nice 5 gal tank with heating and filtration and some plants, live or silk with a wee cave and he'll be building you bubblenests so big you'd never dreamed of!
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote