Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2012, 02:29 AM   #1 
Micho

Insects?

:l Uh, today I went to check up on my RCS. And found my tank walls covered in little white dots?

Now this tank has no lid, so I'm thinking some sort of insect? But that can't be possible, it's snowing outside and insects couldn't have gotten in. Baby shrimp? But. . The only berried female died a week ago. I have some pest snails that came with the plants, baby snails? But they move too fast for snails.

I'll upload pictures when I get a clear shot of them.

This is making me worried any help would be appreciated!
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:22 AM   #2 
SpookyTooth

They are more than likely copepods. Are they absolutely, positively tiny? Do they dart across the tank when you tap the front or when there are large vibrations? Do they move around all funny like?

There are various freshwater mini-beasts (or microfauna) that can call a freshwater aquarium home. There are cyclops (tiny dots with a forked tail that dart across the tank walls), seed shrimp and copepods (tiny dots that usually move very smoothly through the tank; seed shrimp can get much larger than copepods though), hydra (they look like brown feather dusters), daphnia (water fleas; they dart through the water column), detritus worms (hair-like worms that squirm across the tank glass; they are natural in every freshwater aquarium but can start appearing on the tank walls if there's an excess of food, they usually call the tank substrate home), planaria and flatworms (similar to detritus worms except thicker and can have an arrow-shaped head) and a few other species of worms.

Most copepods and microfauna are harmless; hydra can harm tiny fry but it doesn't sound like these are what you are seeing. Some are a sign of a healthy freshwater aquarium, others can be a sign that you're feeding too much. Most of these can come in quite regularly on live plants.

I had an outbreak of copepods in Kaze's old aquarium. He hunted them for a while, so as long as you figure out why they are there (if it's excess food you'll need to reduce feeding to prevent water quality issues) they should be fine to leave. You can do a couple of extra water changes to remove any in the water column and a gravel/substrate vaccume if you're concerned but generally these things are fine and can provide extra enrichment for fish like bettas. I don't know if the RCS would hunt these, I don't think so.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #3 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyTooth View Post
They are more than likely copepods. Are they absolutely, positively tiny? Do they dart across the tank when you tap the front or when there are large vibrations? Do they move around all funny like?

There are various freshwater mini-beasts (or microfauna) that can call a freshwater aquarium home. There are cyclops (tiny dots with a forked tail that dart across the tank walls), seed shrimp and copepods (tiny dots that usually move very smoothly through the tank; seed shrimp can get much larger than copepods though), hydra (they look like brown feather dusters), daphnia (water fleas; they dart through the water column), detritus worms (hair-like worms that squirm across the tank glass; they are natural in every freshwater aquarium but can start appearing on the tank walls if there's an excess of food, they usually call the tank substrate home), planaria and flatworms (similar to detritus worms except thicker and can have an arrow-shaped head) and a few other species of worms.

Most copepods and microfauna are harmless; hydra can harm tiny fry but it doesn't sound like these are what you are seeing. Some are a sign of a healthy freshwater aquarium, others can be a sign that you're feeding too much. Most of these can come in quite regularly on live plants.

I had an outbreak of copepods in Kaze's old aquarium. He hunted them for a while, so as long as you figure out why they are there (if it's excess food you'll need to reduce feeding to prevent water quality issues) they should be fine to leave. You can do a couple of extra water changes to remove any in the water column and a gravel/substrate vaccume if you're concerned but generally these things are fine and can provide extra enrichment for fish like bettas. I don't know if the RCS would hunt these, I don't think so.
They're tiny, only a little bit bigger than a period (.). They look weird, I dunno. They dart around without me tapping on the tank walls, but they do dart around when I do tap.

There seems to be less this morning. I think my RCS ate them. ._____.; And yeah I usually drop an algae wafer in there and forget to take it out. LOL. Maybe that's why I'm having an outbreak of these little things.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #4 
MrVampire181

Could be young snails? Sounds like it to me. I have them in my 10 gallon with my fry.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #5 
SpookyTooth

Could be young snails, though if they dart around it wouldn't surprise me if they were copepods. They can have mass die-offs overnight due to various reasons... But yes, I don't think they are anything to worry about either way.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #6 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
Could be young snails? Sounds like it to me. I have them in my 10 gallon with my fry.
Yeah these things are a little bit too fast for young snails. xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyTooth View Post
Could be young snails, though if they dart around it wouldn't surprise me if they were copepods. They can have mass die-offs overnight due to various reasons... But yes, I don't think they are anything to worry about either way.
Haha thanks! I was so worried, like maybe something parasitic had gotten into my RCS tank, but they seem fine though, swimming around.

Thanks for the help.