Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #21 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

It's not going achieve full NPT status sadly :( I don't have enough plants for that. So I need to cycle it still.
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #22 
Oldfishlady

Anything organic can be the ammonia source-like dirt, live plants, snails...etc.....organics byproduct is a great natural ammonia source....

When cycling with live plants it is silent....often you will not see the nitrate reading for a long time if ever....the active growing plants will use the ammonia/ammonium as a food source before conversion-the nitrogen cycle is still happening however, even if you don't have a filter since plants create oxygen.....this process can vary too....based on number, species and growth state of the plants themselves-
One of the driving forces behind active plant growth is the proper lights and photoperiod-without the correct color temp bulbs for the plant photosynthesis they can't use the food (ammonia) that in turn helps keep the water safe for livestock....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #23 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I wish there was an exact formula for this.
In general though, with only a few plants, you will still see nitrite go up, then back down, which is the end of the cycle, correct?
In a heavily planted tank, ammonia is immediately consumed by healthy plants, and not as much bacteria exists.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #24 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

All the organic soils at the store I was at today had "Perlite."
It says this is natural and doesn't change pH.. but it's a fertilizer that should be avoided right?
Compost and hummus are fine though, right?
Old 04-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #25 
kfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
All the organic soils at the store I was at today had "Perlite."
It says this is natural and doesn't change pH.. but it's a fertilizer that should be avoided right?
Compost and hummus are fine though, right?
Aww, no Miracle Grow Organic Potting Mix? :( I got mine at Wal-Mart for like $3.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #26 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Wal-mart! I'll have to try there. I use miracle grow products but I couldn't remember where to buy them! Thanks, I'll have to check there Friday!
Old 04-18-2012, 07:33 AM   #27 
Oldfishlady

I have used the potting soils with the perlite and it didn't cause any problems per se......it did float and would pop up and float each time I pulled a plant, it would get in the filter sometimes.....but easy enough to net out....just looked more ugly than anything else....but that soil also had a lot of wood pieces that you couldn't get all the way sifted out...still not any problem-just netted out as needed....

If I had a choice I wouldn't use the dirt with perlite-but if that was all I had...I would use it.....you want to avoid additives like the gel beads, added ferts in the potting soil.....
Old 04-18-2012, 09:40 AM   #28 
Silverfang

With enough plants you shouldn't get any ammonia reading if I'm right?

I have to tear down my 33 when I move so I'm gonna redo it with soil capped with sand. Would it be fair to say an inch of soil with a half inch of sand?
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #29 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I think an inch isn't that much.. Usually 2-3 is better. I'm sure some plants would be fine with just an inch.
If you don't like the look of the dirt on the side of the glass I saw a neat trick, when everything is still dry, stick a credit card against the glass and pull it out slowly, the sand will fill the gap so you can't see the dirt along the glass. I'm gonna do that :D
Old 04-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #30 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
I have to tear down my 33 when I move so I'm gonna redo it with soil capped with sand. Would it be fair to say an inch of soil with a half inch of sand?
In a 33gal-I would go with 2-2.5inch of dirt with 1-1.5inch sand cap-especially if you are going to add sword plants.

In tanks 5-10gal 1in soil to 1/2in sand is correct-maybe a little less in under 5gals-but I have used up to 2in soil and half to 1in sand cap in 2gal without any issue too-depending on the species of plants-

The larger the tank the more dirt you can safely use-but if you are going to use really large rocks or driftwood for decorations in over 2inchs of dirt-its best to place them after the first inch of dirt to help prevent anaerobic spot

Also, its a good idea to place your heater and filter before the hard scape and planting-(if you plan to use a filter)-This way you can position the overflow so that it hits a hard scape item to prevent it from kicking up the dirt/sand and to know the heater and intake position so nothing is in its way.