Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #1 
AllureaLycia

First betta illness

Possible sbd? He's bloated and having a hard time swimming, was better for a bit but got worse, couldn't get up for air then started thrashing himself around.. scratched up his face on the gravel. :( I gently lifted him out of the water to get a breath, and now he's back in his starter cup, floating in the hostpital tank for easier air access. And he's just started curling up face down in the cup. :(
Other than that I found a dark greyish spot on his Pectoral fin that looks like a fuzzy blister. Thought maybe he couldn't swim because of his fin, but I can't tell now, it might have been an injury from when he first couldn't breath when I first found him thrashing yesterday.

Which salt should I be using? I've got both Aquarium Salt by API, and I have Epsom Salt.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10g, lightly planted.
What temperature is your tank? 75f
Does your tank have a filter? Small bio filter, water bottle with cut up straws and airstone.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Theres an airstone inside my biofilter bottle.
Is your tank heated? (small preset heater doesn’t go past 78)
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? No buddies.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tetra Betta floating mini pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 presoaked pellets in the morning, sometimes 2 presoaked at night, occascional(every other day) 2-4 Tetra freeze dried Bloodworm peices as treats.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1-3 times a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25% to 50% Depends how the water looks/smells.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra Betta Safe water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I just tested the water last week, everything seemed normal. Going to test it again before he goes back in.

Ammonia: maybe .25 ppm
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: maybe 5.0 – 10 ppm
pH: 7.4
Hardness: n/a
Alkalinity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? ~ He has been getting tiny holes in different parts of his fins. I’ve noticed 2 in the past month. Then as of yesterday when he started swimming bad, he has a “blister” on his right Pectoral fin. I can’t tell if its ich, fungus, or just a blister. Here's 2 of the best pics I could get. A. a tiny tear in his fin that appeared a few months ago, been keeping an eye on it, hasn't really changed. B. a faded looking spot that showed up yesterday.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? ~ He started swimming caddywompus, suddenly doing barel rolls. It seemed he couldn’t swim straight and thus couldn’t reach the surface. I immediately moved him to his starter cup and into a bucket where he could reach the surface and relax. Now he is floating vertically, mouth at the surface like his face is the most boyant part.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? ~ 04/18/12 3pm (yesterday)
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Moved him to a 2 gallon hospital tank with his heater last night. Started 1 tsp/gallon epsom salt as I thought it was Swimming bladder yesterday. Now he’s on his 2nd dose of 1 tsp/gallon Aquarium salt. I’m mostly concerned about this “blister” on his fin.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? ~ None that I’m aware of. He’s been the most active happy betta until yesterday.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Got him at a LPS in November (6 months ago), he was full size.
AllureaLycia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #2 
Neil D

just a mention on food intake, the freeze-dried bw's should be fed once a week, and only one, maybe two. They aren't healthy and can cause SBD. However, I would try to contact Oldfishlady. She has experience with betta issues like this.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote