Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #11 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Wow, I love this!
Is there plenty of room for all those fish? I have a 20 gallon too, and I feel like I'm understocking mine :p
Also, where did you get that driftwood with the holes? It's awesome!
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:11 PM   #12 
Sakura8

My coldwater community has one golden dojo, one peppered dojo, two white clouds (had 6, 4 died), and one lonely male guppy because the females are in a separate tank while I wait for them to give birth. I've been waiting for 3 weeks now and they look like they are going to pop but they still have not dropped fry. I'm afraid to move them back because I heard if you move a pregnant guppy when she is really pregnant, it can shock her into aborting or absorbing the babies.

Yup, fathead minnows. You know your fish. :) I tried to get a pic of it but it's too fast.

EDIT: Fathead minnow. This is what the little bugger looks like

EDIT: Olympia, yup, there's room. I know I have a tendency to overstock so I even double-checked with aqadvisor to make sure and it said I was at 103% or something like that and that my filtration was "satisfactory." So I figured with all the plants, it was good to go. :) And the driftwood is called cholla wood or pleco chews. I got mine from
http://shop.plantedaquariumscentral.com/
but I've also seen some on aquabid. It's really neat stuff.

Last edited by Sakura8; 04-17-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:52 AM   #13 
kfryman

I love the look of your tank! I really hope your plants do well, if not maybe I can send you some later down the road once my tank has lots of growth. Do you have ludwigia in there? I forgot what plants are in there.

I wish I could have more tanks, but I get to lazy lol. 3-4 is enough for me!
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:56 AM   #14 
Sakura8

Thanks, kfry. :) Yeah, I think I've just about reached the limit on number of tanks but the 20g is kind of my show tank, the one tank that I want to make look really good. I don't have ludwigia but I'm thinking I might want to use some in the midground.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:11 AM   #15 
kfryman

Yeah, I don't even have one watt per gallon, lol some how I still have success, and I still get a nice light red. Maybe I can buy you some bunches at Petsmart as well, if they are algae few if i go there, I will grow them out first though.

What's the lighting on your tank? T5 HO?
Old 04-18-2012, 01:19 AM   #16 
Sakura8

Yeah, I was able to buy a very cheap T5 HO at my LFS. It's a lousy brand and it gets hot to the touch but it's putting out 48w. I think that's really awesome that you have managed to grow some great ludwigia with the lighting you have. Plants that like to turn red are among the hardest to grow.

Haha, we can start a plant exchange on the forum.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:55 AM   #17 
Bombalurina

Ludwigia repens - nicest plant ever! I'm in love with it. :) It's a bit prone to blackbeard algae, but it grows amazingly in 1.5wpg and keeps a good red colour if you dose with Flourish Iron every week or so. It also grows really nicely above the water surface.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:00 AM   #18 
Sakura8

Iron. I wonder if I should add that. I use Flourish and Flourish Excel but I have been wondering everytime I go to the LFS if I should pick up Flourish Iron too. I think perhaps I should. Thanks for the tip, Bomba. :)
Old 04-19-2012, 06:01 AM   #19 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
My coldwater community has one golden dojo, one peppered dojo, two white clouds (had 6, 4 died), and one lonely male guppy because the females are in a separate tank while I wait for them to give birth. I've been waiting for 3 weeks now and they look like they are going to pop but they still have not dropped fry. I'm afraid to move them back because I heard if you move a pregnant guppy when she is really pregnant, it can shock her into aborting or absorbing the babies.

Yup, fathead minnows. You know your fish. :) I tried to get a pic of it but it's too fast.

EDIT: Fathead minnow. This is what the little bugger looks like

EDIT: Olympia, yup, there's room. I know I have a tendency to overstock so I even double-checked with aqadvisor to make sure and it said I was at 103% or something like that and that my filtration was "satisfactory." So I figured with all the plants, it was good to go. :) And the driftwood is called cholla wood or pleco chews. I got mine from
http://shop.plantedaquariumscentral.com/
but I've also seen some on aquabid. It's really neat stuff.
Yay me!

I googled the golden dojo loach. I want one. xD
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:43 AM   #20 
kfryman

Is there soil in the tank? If so I would say you wouldn't need it, unless maybe you need a small boost...

I need to pick up some flourish Excel? I just want the one that puts carbon in the water as that is all I need for most tanks and I also have that API leaf zone. Which reminds me that tomorrow I need to add some to the 5 gallon.