Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #1 
wherewolf

Unhappy Velvet and an open sore, I'm really worried!

So I posted a while back because my crowntail, Tulio, had a strange open sore on his back and his dorsal fin is completely gone now because of it.

I had been treating him with Maracyn for a possible fungal infection, and it seemed to be getting better, but all of a sudden I realized that his dulled coloring was a shiny, copper-colored film similar to what I've read about velvet.

He's also changed in behavior, he hides out of sight nearly all day, won't eat, and has become really lethargic...

He's in a one-gallon tank that I'm going to change every day instead of every other day, and I'm adding 3 teaspoons of aquarium salt in over the course of 12 hours, replacing it after each water change. I'm keeping him in the dark, because apparently velvet reacts to light.

I just don't know what to do about the sore, and if I'm treating the velvet correctly. Can you guys help, please? I don't want to lose poor Tulio...

This is how he looked about a week ago...

Name:  009.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  66.0 KB

and how he looks today. There are a lot of air bubbles because I just changed the water and added some aquarium salt.

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  112.8 KB
Name:  002.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  72.1 KB
wherewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #2 
wherewolf

I'll try to get some better pictures when the bubbles go away, too
Old 04-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #3 
Fieldz

I wouldnt put aq. salt. That will only make him worser at all if you keep adding too much. Why dont you put his termostat at 80-82F? Higher temperatures help healing faster and kills bad bacteries like ich. Oh yea, keep dosing the meds.
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:39 PM   #4 
wherewolf

I'm adding aquarium salt as per DarkMoon17's manual on treating ich and velvet, and I would turn up the heat if the tank had a thermostat, sadly it doesn't =/ the water stays at about 78 though.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #5 
lilyth88

You could try shining a light over it to get that extra bit of heat into it.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #6 
wherewolf

I was doing that earlier this week... The problem is, do I give him heat, or do I give him darkness? I'm trying to find something opaque enough to block out the light I normally use.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #7 
BeckyFish97

You say he's in a 1 gallon, and before you think I'm going to give you the usual reply about size of tanks, I'm not! Put him in a room with lots of machines, I find the room with my freezer in is great, also my bedroom has a hot water pipe running right under it, basically, put him really high up in the corner of the warmest room in your house, does the tank have a lid? if yes take the lid off and put cling film over the top of the tank leaving a tiny gap for oxygen to circulate, put the lid back on if you can, that way you can give him both heat and darkness! Hope this helped
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #8 
lilyth88

You can also wrap the sides of the tank in a blanket.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #9 
wherewolf

I'm scoping out my house for the warmest spot right now! I already have his tank wrapped in a few towels and today he is acting a little better than he was yesterday :)
Old 04-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #10 
BeckyFish97

Just a thought, and I might be wrong here? A hot waterbottle against the side of his tank might help?
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote