Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #1 
finnfinnfriend

Cockatiel or Budgie?

Can some bird experts give me the pros/cons of both? I want to get one or the other...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:25 AM   #2 
finnfinnfriend

Well....can anyone tell me from experience which one is more affectionate and how?
Old 04-16-2012, 02:30 AM   #3 
thegabzzz

ummmm, im not sure if you noticed, but this is a fish forum not a bird forums. we will be happy to help with yourr fish questions.
thegabzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:36 AM   #4 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegabzzz View Post
ummmm, im not sure if you noticed, but this is a fish forum not a bird forums. we will be happy to help with yourr fish questions.
ummmm, im not sure if you noticed, but this is the "finless friends" section where fish questions shouldn't go.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:04 AM   #5 
sparkyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
ummmm, im not sure if you noticed, but this is the "finless friends" section where fish questions shouldn't go.
Now, FinnFinn, play nice with the newbie, I think they were actually trying to help (at least give 'em the benefit).

I wish I could help with your question, but I've only ever had budgies, and that was for a short time. I didn't really care for the ones I had. I think they were bonded to each other and barely tolerated me.

I would lean towards the Cockatiel, but that's just me. Are you able to visit with any? Maybe at the pet store?

Was it CopperArabian who's the person with bird knowledge/experience? Maybe you can send a PM to see if they can give you any advice.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:06 AM   #6 
thegabzzz

yeh jeez, im new to this forum and i used the "unanswered posts section", i didnt even know there was a fin less friends section.
anyway. i know about cockatiels have any questions?
Old 04-16-2012, 03:14 AM   #7 
sparkyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegabzzz View Post
yeh jeez, im new to this forum and i used the "unanswered posts section", i didnt even know there was a fin less friends section.
anyway. i know about cockatiels have any questions?
Ahhhhh, that explains it. Yep, there's a little bit of everything on this forum.

Ok, so maybe you can help FinnFinn decide between a Budgie and a Cockatiel? Which is more personable & friendly? Would a Cockatiel be inclined to perch on your shoulder while you're on the computer? Are they super chatty? (I'm not psychic, some of this was mentioned in another thread).

Sorry if I'm overstepping FinnFinn!
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:27 AM   #8 
thegabzzz

from what i've experienced (my own and cockatiels and relatives) they are extremely friendly and can get to know there owner very well, one of my relatives had a yellow cockatiel which he would let fly around his house/backyard without a cage. when ever we used to visit my relative the cockatiel would just walk up to us and climb on our backs and heads.

Even wild cockatiels can be tameable, we caught one that was sitting on a tree, it didnt try too escape and soon became as friendly as the other.

When it comes to the chatty side, i havent heard my cockatiels talk or anything like that, but they can make some wonderfull tunes.

Check this vid out: (it just proves what ive said)
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXDSfjobEzY]Sweet Cockatiel Affection - YouTube[/ame]
Old 04-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #9 
LuckyBlue

I have had birds for over 20 years..... I personally like cockatiels over budgies.... however I'm sure someone else would feel the opposite.. A cockatiel will require a little larger cage.. they also tend to be a little less nippy... They can be sweet and cuddly. I love my birds.... Good Luck deciding... ask me anything.. I love talking about birds..
LuckyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:02 PM   #10 
copperarabian

I also like cockatiels over budgies. If hand raised both are affectionate. In my opinion I find that cockatiels are easier to train, more playful in human interaction and and like to be touched more then a budgie.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote