Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #1 
Aside

left him alone and now what?

I went on a college visit this weekend. I left thursday afternoon and just got back. I was expecting Dahli to rush to the top of the tank and gobble up his food. But he wouldn't touch it and let it sink to the bottom. I did a water change before I left and I'm about to do one now. He seems a bit lethargic. He seems to be perking up a little now. He might have been sleeping when I came in. Are fish drowsy when they first wake up? Also, he seems a little discolored. His head, particularly around the gills, is almost greyish. Not like turning black but it basically looks like the color is kind of drained. I'm thinking it might be from a build up of ammonia. I'm doing two water changes a week so I thought he would be okay for 4 days but I guess I might have been wrong.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? room temp (about 68)
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no, I know he needs a heater. I had one but it was keeping the temperature in the 90s. I didn't want to boil him alive.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3ish pellets 2-3 times a day. Sometimes I throw him in extra one to snack on.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?Tetra betta safe

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
I don't have a test kit yet

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? head and gills appear almost gray
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he wouldn't eat
When did you start noticing the symptoms? just now but they could have started anytime since thursday night
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No. As soon as people get off the hall i'm going to change his water
Does your fish have any history of being ill? not that I know of.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I got him 3-4 weeks ago. I don't know how old he was when I bought him.
Aside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:29 PM   #2 
Tikibirds

Quote:
What temperature is your tank? room temp (about 68)
He may be lethargic and loosing color because he is cold. Bettas are tropical fish and should have temps between 76-82F.

How big is his tank? and what kind of heater did you have? adjustable ones that shut off if the water is too warm would be best but you need 3-5 gallons to use the 25 watt ones although I do have 1 in a 1 gallon but I have it set to like 70 so it wont fry my fish.

Maybe he got depressed because you were not around?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #3 
Aside

I'm aware of the heat situation. I'm working on it. I have a five gallon at home waiting to get set up that will definitely be heated.

He's looking a lot better this morning. His color is back and he gobbled up his food as soon as it hit the water.
Aside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #4 
Tikibirds

Quote:
He's looking a lot better this morning. His color is back and he gobbled up his food as soon as it hit the water.
He must of been missing you :)
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote