Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #11 
Misakitty

Now I think he's just lazy! She's stopped eating the eggs, and it looks like now she's the one doing all the work putting them in the nest. He just struts around looking all proud of himself. Poor Sunset!
Misakitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #12 
Misakitty

Thank-you for all of the encouragement. They're nearing the end, and it seems that Feodor finally got the hang of it. I'll be posting a video after I get it all uploaded.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #13 
Misakitty

Feodor and Sunset First Spawn - YouTube

Here is the link of the clips from the spawn. Sadly as soon as I removed Sunset, Feodor spiraled into depression and did not want to do anything. He mouthed a few of the eggs and spit them out, but he mostly ignored any of the ones that fell from the nest. The nest itself hasn't had any tending and is slowly losing pieces. He looks pathetic; I read about this happening after removing the father from the fry, but I didn't expect him to be upset from removing the female. Now I wish I'd left her in there longer to see what would happen. She seemed to be teaching him what to do.

I've collected what I could to artificially hatch, but I don't know if any of those are even viable eggs. It looks like there was around 150 eggs total from the spawn, possibly more. A few are still clinging to the nest, and I'll know tonight if they're alive.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:07 PM   #14 
BeckyFish97

Omg that vid is awesome, and completely hilarious!!!also, sunset was MASSIVE LOL!!!
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #15 
Misakitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyFish97 View Post
Omg that vid is awesome, and completely hilarious!!!also, sunset was MASSIVE LOL!!!

I know she was huge! I didn't want to wait any longer before releasing her because she was starting to drop eggs. She looked like a blimp.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #16 
lvandert

good luck with the artificial hatch!
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:48 PM   #17 
Misakitty

Thank-you, Ivandert. I'm going to need it since I hadn't really prepared for this outcome. I've tried to read up on it a bit. There are definitely some changes going on with some of the eggs, not all of them though. I'm trying to get a look without messing with them too much.

I'm guessing the ones that look bigger and sort of hollow with a curled sliver of white to one side were successfully fertilized. I don't know if I should remove the others yet or give them more time.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #18 
lvandert

I'd give them time, there can be a few hours between your fist and last egg. I gave my eggs a good three days before I called it when I did the artificial.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:11 AM   #19 
Sketch

oooo this is an interesting thread! Hopefully some will hatch!
Sketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #20 
Misakitty

I'll be thrilled if I get even just a few healthy fry out of this. I wasn't looking for a particularly big spawn on my first try. I'm conditioning the pair again for a second round, and hopefully he's learned something from this experience.

I might see a few tails, but I'm not sure yet.