Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #1 
Hopeseeker

Questions on water hardness...

How important is it to test water hardness? And how would it affect my boys if the water is too hard? Wanting to know if I need to purchase a water hardness test kit. Doesn't come in the API freshwater test kit, which I already have and use at least once a week. Currently in the middle of the fish-in cycle of my divided 10 gallon aquarium. Any info is greatly appreciated!!
Hopeseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

Bettas are a pretty tolerant species when it comes to water hardness and pH. While they prefer it on the softer end of the spectrum some of my tanks have an insanely high pH and KH reading and I have imported bettas in there that are thriving (accidentally put in too much crushed coral as a buffer).

I would say it's not very important unless you want to branch out to more sensitive species of fish.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:28 PM   #3 
thekoimaiden

GH/KH tests are really only needed if you have a sensative species or want to change the hardness or pH. Not exactly everyday fishkeeping stuff. That's why you don't find these test kits in many petstores. Nothing the average fishkeeper or betta keeper need to worry about.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:22 AM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

Bought fish off a guy who talked about his experience and research with this stuff, apparently hard water boosts immune systems and helps prevent disease, not sure how true this is, but all the fish I've put into my relatively hard tank has yet to get sick...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:20 AM   #5 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
Bought fish off a guy who talked about his experience and research with this stuff, apparently hard water boosts immune systems and helps prevent disease, not sure how true this is, but all the fish I've put into my relatively hard tank has yet to get sick...
This is true.. depending on the fish. If he is keeping hard water fish like rift valley cichlids and livebearers this is certainly true. But with fish that like very soft water like cardinal tetra, the exact opposite is true. Keeping them in very hard water stresses them out because their organs have to work harder to maintain equilibrium. This leads to a short lifespan. Unless his "research" has been published in a peer-reviewed journal, I'm going to stick with seasoned aquarists recommendations and the biology that backs it up.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:45 AM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

Well this is a guy which keeps fish bappy at 100F lol, I guess there are always the quirky and successful oddballs out there
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-22-2012, 03:28 AM   #7 
thekoimaiden

He does sound like a bit of a quack. One of those old "set in their ways" fishkeepers who doesn't believe any of the new information you tell him.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:03 AM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

He doesnt filter his tanks either....just aeration and lots of plants... and apparently nothing dies

I think thats all he told me about his fish keeping that I can remember, didnt seem like a stubborn guy mustve been in his 30s max. But then who knows :)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-22-2012, 11:08 PM   #9 
Hopeseeker

Thanks for all the help! Will Not be getting it, since it is not needed.
Hopeseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:05 AM   #10 
Sakura8

Only really necessary if you have a crowntail whose rays are curling and even then, you don't need a test kit just to figure it out. Petsmart uses Tetra 5-1 strips for their free water testing and it usually shows hardness. Just be sure to ask the employee what the specific result is. A lot of them just say "Everything is okay." You have to ask, "What is the degree of hardness according to the chart?"
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote