Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2012, 11:18 AM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Two bettas with dropsy (please read)

So, Ghengis has been constipated for a while now, and I've tried flaring sessions with him, epsom salt... and now the pea method. Unfortunately I'm unable to get daphnia, but it looks too late now... He's got dropsy. And yes, before anyone says I am wasting my time, I KNOW dropsy is a shot in the dark to heal or reverse, and he'd have to be under superb care if he DID survive.

The other one is little Rose who has popeye in one eye from being slammed into by one of the more aggressive gals in the sorority, and now she too has dropsy, and my understanding is her organs were damaged during her beating

Again, I KNOW it is a shot in the dark, and I'm probably wasting my time, but if I said I was wasting my time for every betta who was terribly sick I wouldn't have had Admiral, Sarah, Suzi, I wouldn't have tried so hard with Maine, Riddle, or Shadow (and Shadow ALMOST survived that terrible disease)... I wouldn't even be owning fish if I gave up so easily!

Ghengis is active, making a nest, flaring and showing off, begging for food and being his little ol' self. I owe it to him to try, even if I have a 1 in 10'000 chance with him/them...

I'm adding 4 teaspoons of epsom per gallon ( they are in a divided 10 with 6 gallons of water), PLUS maracyn 2 which claims to help dropsy and popeye. I remembered this, so I decided to try it as a slim chance thing... I DO have kanaplex, but I don't want to be super dosing them, unless someone recommends it. But since the maracyn 2 is in there I'm unsure if I could use it anyways, because I don't know much of mixing meds other than combos like maracyn and maracyn 2, etc.

My question, what is the survival rate of dropsy victims? I know what dropsy is, but I have heard of the very very very rare cases of survival.

also, is it safe to feed the high protein meat of fresh mealworms to both? On here I read a post from OFL I believe, saying if the fish will eat, feed it. Let them have everything they can to survive!

another question is, how much epsom is safe to use? I've heard ranges of 3-5 tsp per gallon.

I would've euthanised them, however someone has my clove oil (brother had a tooth ache).
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #2 
BeckyFish97

I found this link for you, I apologise in advance for the rather disgusting images, http://nippyfish.net/sick-betta/dropsy/ I will keep looking and let you know if I find anything else
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #3 
BeckyFish97

Also this link tells how someone managed to successfully treat dropsy
http://nippyfish.net/2009/09/18/curi...in-betta-fish/
Old 04-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #4 
BeckyFish97

http://www.bettafishcenter.com/Dropsy.shtml

The other thing I have found is a lot of people saying feed food that will give your fish an energy boost as they will need all the energy they can get, but obviously, not enough to bloat the fish any more.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Thanks :) worth a shot, right? Ghengis is acting soo normal it's sad... so if he says he wants to live, then let's give it all we got

For FIVE years I have NEVER gone to Global Pet Foods, but I decided to today. They have tons of stuff for BETTAS!!! I found Zoo-Med betta dial-a-treat which includes freeze dried daphnia, mysis and blood worms. I'll be soaking them, and feeding some daphnia to them as something to eat without expanding like pellets would.

Oh I read the first one before... the second link, OH MY GOD BETTA REVIVE? I bought that! TODAY!!! I JUST got home from Global Pet Foods and saw it and meant to post a thread to ask about it... So I bought it. for 3 dollars.

I mean, Ghengis doesn't have the super pinecone look like the one in the store did... But you can tell they are raised half way. As for Rose her whole body is pineconed, but hey, not giving up YET!! I also got her the floating log to make it feel more secure..

Can I use betta revive not that I've already added Maracyn 2? is it safe to mix?
Old 04-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #6 
BeckyFish97

It should say on the label how long to wait before using it after using another treatment, most say 48 hours!
I think whilever they are living a pretty normal life it is really worth trying!
Betta revive seems to have the best results from what I can see!!!
I hope they're better soon!
Old 04-16-2012, 01:09 PM   #7 
Luimeril

it's never useless to try to treat dropsy. i'm doing it with Medic. she just is so active, i have so much hope for her. :B

i hope you manage to save them both.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

Thanks to both of you!!! Ghengis says he wants to live, and Rose says she's too cute to die >.>

If one or both are okay in 48 hours, betta revive will be next. I will be doing daily cleaning, too, to get ANY debris, ANY bacteria that dares compromise this mission!!
Old 04-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #9 
BeckyFish97

well I'm sorry to say this but...anyone who can disagree with that is a numpty
Old 04-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

Well there ARE some people who say "pineconed?? too far gone, now you're torturing them... BOO ON YOU!" kind of attitude. And yes, although it is true that pineconing is basically a death sentence and there is probably a 0.00009 percent chance they will live, heck, it's possible. I don't wanna lose more bettas! I know Rose probably won't live, but it's worth a shot. It's POSSIBLE, but not common.

And if they both pull through, or either one pulls through, they get their own 5 gallon to live in. I will personally go out, and buy 5 gallons for them which is like... 40.00 each x.x but meh, keeps them from stress, and makes it easy for me to cycle those tanks.