Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2012, 11:44 AM   #1 
Pitluvs

PJ Pet's on Facebook

They posted one of those 0.9g Marina Betta tanks today at 50% off on Facebook and I had to comment on it...

----------------------------------------
Donna ********* - If only it was the right size for a betta, these tanks are beautiful but too small :(
about an hour ago · Like · 1

PJ's Pets Official Page - Hi Donna, the Half Moon Betta Kit is 3 liters. Betta fish do very well in a bowl environment as they breathe atmospheric air and therefore do not depend on the oxygen content of the water to survive. Betta’s will do well in a bowl that is 1 liter or larger.

If anyone has any questions about caring for Betta fish, please let us know.
10 minutes ago · Like

Donna ********* - Actually no, tanks under 1g should not be used with Bettas. Tanks under 1g are for ease of selling kits to unsuspecting new Bettas owners. I believe these are 0.9g tanks, which is much to small once you factor in gravel and plants (which takes up water space). Most would argue anything under 5g is too small for Bettas, but I tend to favor towards the modest side of the equation and go with anything over 1g. The reasoning as well is that a tank with this little water cannot be stable, is much more work for the owner to clean (since it would need to be cleaned 3 times a week, much more stressful on the fish as well). I am quite knowledgeable with fish, Bettas are my specialty. I have been pulling Bettas from your stores for the last year, all in bad condition. Please, do not lecture me on proper Betta care :) All I am saying is the tanks you offer are beautiful, pleasing to the eye but they serve no purpose for the fish, but more for the humans that want these fish as decoration. I wish they were sold in larger sizes.
4 minutes ago · Like · 1

Donna ********* - Please check any Betta Fish forum for proper Betta information.
--------------------------------------------

I am fuming right now. If anyone wants to, search PJ's Pets Official Page on Facebook and give them your opinion on small inhumane 1 liter Betta tanks! I am sure they will remove my comment soon.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #2 
Pitluvs

And here's a friend of mines responce <3

Quote:
I have personally seen pictures of the states of fish Donna buys bettas in and she has done a wonderful job rehabilitating them from several states / illnesses. Perhaps employees would benefit from education on how to recognize diseases / illness in fish and proper (larger) tank sizes could be implemented. One of the worst things I see (often) is a store selling Betta's in cups. A cup or less of water is ridiculous. If a store wants to sell bettas and cannot put them together because they will fight / they take up too much space then they should not sell bettas. And need to learn more about them. Females can live in communities together. Donna is an endless resource on Betta keeping and may be able to help you with setting up a fish friendly in store betta environment that does not rely on the old wives tale that no bettas can live together and they can live in very little water etc.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #3 
Leeniex

I got into an argument one day on the Petco FB page. Some moronic women kept telling me how they live in dirty puddles and that's that. She would not listen to reason. People are stupid.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:00 PM   #4 
lvandert

I just posted too, agreeing with you. :)
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:10 PM   #5 
Pitluvs

Thank you :) I mean, did they really think I was going to agree with them? Like "Oh, why you're right! I guess I had allllll the wrong info" Phhfft.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #6 
lvandert

Oh I agree. I go to pet shops all the time and help people out more than the employees do :P
Old 04-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #7 
Pitluvs

I've done that, and the employees HATE me. There is one guy who likes me, he's a Betta keeper but the main fish guy, walks in the backroom when I come in the store :)
Old 04-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #8 
lvandert

lol yup. Most of the fish people hate me, except the manager. We have an understanding that there isn't much he can do besides lots water changes and that I get discounts on sick fish.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:18 PM   #9 
MollyJean

Unfortunately, the person who's posting ads for PJ's is likely nothing more then a web developer, not a petshop employee, so he probably knows less about fish then the shop guys do, which is nothing. He's just posting fliers for the company. It's how most corporate sites work. But posting replies and adding reviews to their website products is a great way to get other people informed.

So I posted :)
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #10 
Sivan

I feel like we need a day when all of us organize and claim it Betta Fish Awareness Day and we all post an various pat chain stores' Facebook pages about the bad things we've seen in the stores, inform them about their horrible tanks, correct any false information they give about bettas (They prefer to live in small tanks! Change once a month! Feed once a week! No heater required!) and make our concerns realised.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote