Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #1 
Lioralee

My little Fuji has a horrible open wound

It all started a few weeks ago when I noticed Fuji becoming lethargic and unresponsive. He used to dance when he saw me and get super excited about food, but he stopped dancing and seemed disinterested in food. I noticed that he appeared to bloated, so I thought he may be constipated and tried to feed some pea. He also appeared to have some slight pine-coning, and I was really scared that he may have dropsy. Later I noticed what appeared to be a lump on his left side, just under his fin, and I thought perhaps it may be a tumor. I changed his water and lowered the level so that he could swim to to the surface more easily. When I changed the water I saw that a piece of his skin and scales had fallen off. When I checked Fuji, I saw that the area where the lump had been was now an open sore. I've started treating the water with a Lifeguard All-in-one-treatment. Fuji's energy levels have picked up and he has stared dancing again when he sees me and is excited about his food again, but the wound doesn't seem to be improving. In fact, over the last few days it looks like it's swelling and looks really nasty. Fuji is resting a lot at the bottom of the tank and sometimes lies a little sideways. Anyone have any idea what this open wound may be? This has been going on for about 2 weeks now.
Attached Images

Lioralee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #2 
BeckyFish97

I'm really sorry I think your thought about it being a tumor is right :( you could try to treat his symptoms to reduce any pain, whilever he's still active and happy, but if his condition starts to deteriorate then it may be better to put him to sleep, the other option is find out if your vet treats fish, and if yes take him down to see them and ask them if they can get rid of the tumor, although aquatic vets are relatively rare where I live :(
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #3 
Lioralee

Thank you Becky.... my poor little Fuji. He is my first betta. - I didn't realize a tiny little fish could have such a personality and be so interactive. He's resting on his side in the corner of his tank now.
Lioralee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #4 
BeckyFish97

I just want to say, I'm no expert on tumors so don't just take my word for it, I'm sure a more experienced member will be able to shed some light on your situation
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote