Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #1 
Wolfie305

New betta swimming really weird..

So I went to PetCo the other day JUST TO LOOK and ended up going back yesterday to take home a betta I fell in love with. I loved his colors and I also noticed he had some sort of weird lump towards the base of his tail and on one side. He also swam kinda sideways, but I couldn't really tell while he was in his little cup.

So I set up and transfered him into his new tank today. I floated his cup in the water for a bit and then released him slowly. Well, ever since then he has really been swimming strange.

He'll swim upside down, flail around, float to the top, lay on the bottom, stand vertically looking up, etc. He will rest for a few second before doing it again. I took a video of his behavior.

http://youtu.be/IkTqstSCQck

I'm worried for him :( However, during the time it took to upload that video to YouTube (because my internet is slower than a snail), he seems to have calmed down a bit and is acting "normal." He's upright and floating around, swimming occasionally. Maybe he just freaked out over his new tank?
Wolfie305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #2 
BunnyCates

hi, youtube says "this video is private". Sounds like SBD but if he's swimming ok now. I dunno.
BunnyCates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #3 
Wolfie305

Try this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkTqstSCQck

Yeah, he's doing a lot better now. Still kinda swims sideways, but he's floating around upright and whatnot.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #4 
BeckyFish97

Could just be shock, some betta's don't cope well when their water conditions change, I know I've had some go into shock a little like that, also it could be SBD
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:37 PM   #5 
Bettafeathers

I'd agree with BunnyCates that by the video and description it sounds like SBD. I've read a bit about this (I think my betta had it too before he passed - not from the SBD, but because he had issues for quite some time I believe) and from what I've read it looks worse than it is. They can recover from it to swim normally, but it doesn't cause them pain or anything in the mean time - they just look uncoordinated. It can be caused by constipation from what I read, and it can be resolved when they become un-constipated.

But if he's swimming normally, maybe that wasn't it? I'm glad to hear he's doing better now!
Bettafeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #6 
Wolfie305

I knew something was weird about him when I got him, but I was very surprised by his behavior when I put him in his new home. He definitely calmed down though and his color is starting to come back (he was very pale).

Maybe it was just stress.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:17 PM   #7 
FishyFishy89

did you acclimate him to the new water? How? He appears to be spazzing out from the shock of different water.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:10 AM   #8 
LionCalie

Looks like more than SBD to me. The quick breathing and spazzing out, for lack of better word, are both concerning. Did you just float him in the cup then release him, or did you slowly add some aquarium water to the cup a few times and then release?
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote