Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2012, 10:08 AM   #11 
Sivan

I've never heard of sponge filters. What are the pros/cons of them? How do they work? Why are there no cartridges?
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #12 
SpookyTooth

Sponge filters are a chunk of sponge or foam that acts as a biological filter. The sponge/foam is porous enough to allow a great deal of beneficial bacteria to set up shop and help keep the aquarium free of ammonia and nitrite. The sponge is attached to a small mechanical thingie-ma-jig (or sometimes just slotted onto a carefully designed plastic thingie-ma-jig).

I'm not 100% certain of how they work exactly but I believe that the air supplied to them by an air pump creates a vaccume that causes particles of dirt/dust/whatever to be sucked into the filter sponge. They are exceptionally simple in their design and absolutely ideal for fry tanks/betta tanks as they have next to no output flow and no inflow that would damage a betta's delicate and generally long finnage.

Pros? I'd say... lack of filter flow, lack of intake suction, adjustable stream of oxygenating bubbles that can prevent stagnantion and bio-film development (the slime on surface of still water), a HUGE house for beneficial bacteria, easy to do maintanence on (just squeeze the sponge out in old tank water once every few months), no mechanical whurring, can be powered using other methods during a power cut (if you have something that can blow air down the tube it'll keep working). They're also great with live plants that don't like filter flow (such as Amazon Frogbit) and won't damage delicate plant leaves.

Kaze liked to watch the bubbles of his stand-alone sponge filter come out and would bite at them on occasion, so they are quite amusing when used with playful bettas. They do still need to be cycled as well.

Cons... lack of filter flow, lack of instake suction (these aren't so good for tanks with messy fish), the air pump can end up exceptionally noisy if it starts vibrating against things (easy to fix though), the filters themselves can be quite unsightly, the sponge can dry out very quickly if taken out of water for any reason and my baby Malaysian Trumpet Snails try to burrow into the foam of one of my filters. Not a bad thing as such as it won't harm them but it's still... random.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #13 
newf

I have a Red Sea Deco Art Nano filter for my five gallon tank. I have this tank sitting on my desk at work, and don't hear it at all. It has an adjustable flow, and works great! You can't get them in stores anymore, but can buy them online. I don't buy the filters online, but buy the fluval filter materials at Petsmart and just cut it to fit in the Nano filter. It is even cheaper that way.
newf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #14 
Sivan

Thanks for the suggestion. I am still debating on which filter, there are SO many choices.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:08 PM   #15 
LionCalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
Tom mini internal filter, even has a spray bar for more even flow. It also has adjustable flow so yeah I am getting one, but the reviews are amazing!
+1

I have two of these filters and they make virtually no sound at all. They are good for up to 6 gallons and do not need to be baffled. The spray bar is wonderful for Bettas and it can point it any direction. I like to point it towards the back of the aquarium.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:12 PM   #16 
scootshoot

If it hasn't been mentioned Red sea deco filters are the bomb. They got bought out and are under a different name but same design.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:01 PM   #17 
Sivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionCalie View Post
+1

I have two of these filters and they make virtually no sound at all. They are good for up to 6 gallons and do not need to be baffled. The spray bar is wonderful for Bettas and it can point it any direction. I like to point it towards the back of the aquarium.
Double recommendation? I am almost sold! Can I get them at PetSmart?