Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #1 
Katy

Plant quarantine question

I previously put live plants (wisteria, anubis, marimo moss ball) in some of my aquariums but did not quarantine. About 1 week later I was having multiple problems with some of my fish, including something killing off my sorority, as well as Keller my fave relapsing with finrot, etc etc.

Long story short I did not trace any of these problems to the plants (some of the fish affected were not in planted aqs). But I had to toss the plants and marimo to exclude variables, especially with Keller (sorry plants and moss, Keller's more important:)).

I would like to try re-planting with Keller, in his 10gal. He really liked the plants and moss ball. But I'm not taking chances. I would like to quarantine this time.

Question is, how do I tell if a plant is sick? If it dies, well that's a no-brainer. But specifically what should I look for in a quarantined plant and/or moss ball to know not to put it with my fish?
Katy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #2 
kfryman

Plants are not affected by most diseases, though they can house them so you never know. You just have to put them in tap for a couple of days.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #3 
Katy

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Does your pet store house plants/fish together? That's a red flag, I think that could cause plants to carry things in from the store.
If it's a plant only tank, there isn't really much risk.
I only QT if the plant was grown out of water or if I know it'll melt down, so I don't have to deal with the mess in my tank.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #5 
BETTACHKALOVE

I don't use any plants from the store because i read that they carry disease. I personally learned from someone on this forum to use spider plant that i have at home. It is very popular home plant and very easy to grow. If you google it you will see it. It also vary in shape and color. I am using it for long time. Tell you the truth i would never risk my bettas for plant. I would rather keep them without if i would know they can get sick. Especially that you had bad experience.
Also before i find out about spider plant i bought plant in the tube. Check them out. I think they more safe than other plants from the store. I even saw one time pet store have plants in the tank with fish which is I think NO NO….

Also now I will write what I found on this forum . It was post from someone else about quarantine the plants. There is it:

What I do,is get hardy plants. I put them in tap water NO conditioner. Now, wimpy plants may/will die, so be warned! I’ve had to with sword ,wisteria and java fern…wisteria died. The other lived:)If you quarantine for 2-3 or more weeks, the disease will die off. The thing about ich,velvet,etc,is it needs a host..no host,it eventually dies.

Now I am not sure if plant can carry fungus ? That is already my concern. Because fungus can’t just die in the water.

BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:09 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

If you really want to blast hardier plants for diseases, washing them in a weak bleach or potassium permanganate solution will do the trick. :) Kills snails, too.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:36 PM   #7 
BETTACHKALOVE

Sorry omg i would really afraid to wash live plant in a weak bleach. Did you ever do it? That sound so scary. I don't even know if plant will survive anyway.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:56 PM   #8 
Bombalurina

Hardy plants like java fern, anacharis, anubias...they were all fine. :P I've been too nervous to try it on anything else, though!
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #9 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Bleach really isn't as bad as it sounds. It breaks apart well in nature. You could dump a bottle into an ecosystem without much side effect (except the immediate area it's poured onto). Small amounts don't hurt plants. You should always rinse well, but trace amounts left behind will usually dissolve before any harm is done.
This is because as an oxidizing agent, it reacts well with tons of things, forming harmless new substances.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:38 AM   #10 
Katy

Thanks all! I had to go with plants in tubes, b/c that's all I have access to- Nope wouldn't trust plants kept with other fish.

I washed and qt'd for a couple of days in tap water. Diluted bleach is an interesting idea. I did not use it but I agree with Bombalurina bleach (diluted) is not really that harmful. In fact, physician offices, daycare centers, etc routinely use a spray bottle of dilute bleach and spray it on everthing at the end of the day to disinfect. But I'd still be a little scared getting it anywhere near my fishies. Keller loves his new plants so far.

On a side note, kudos to petco, i've saved (or attempted to save) so many of their bettas that they recognize me in the store (I shop for my cats there too). So when I was there getting plants they tossed in 3 marimo moss balls for free:)