Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #1 
Raspberry Betta

Exclamation White Cotton Tufts on my betta!!!!!!!!!

Please help!

My betta is at the top of his tank almost vertically down. He has not eaten for 4 days. My mom tried to give him a pea but he doesn't seem to have the strength to get it/want it. I think he is constipated. Also there are white cottony tufts on his fins and body. At first I thought is was that pine cone thing but upon further inspection his scales are NOT raised. There are also pin like holes in his tail fins.

What should I do? I think that it is Columaris Disease.
The temperature is 76 degrees without a heater. I saw this "Treat all" medication at Walmart but I'm not sure if I should use it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Raspberry Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #2 
BETTACHKALOVE

So sorry :(Go buy Aquarium salt . You can find it in any pet store. It sometimes progress very fast.

Pre mix 2 teaspoons in one gall jug for the right dosage. You can take it from the spring water or even from milk. Shake it make sure it dissolved. As i remember from another post i think his tank is a little bit bigger than 1 gall. You can treat it in there just lower the water.

You will need to do 100% daily water changes. Usually aquarium salt 10 days not longer.

Also i know you wrote that he is constipated. But if you see his poo make sure it not white, clear stringy, and wormy like looking.

For constipation frozen daphnia recommended but then he is not eating though.

Also for medications. Be really careful with medications. Not all of them on the shelves will help.

I would start with aquarium salt and give us update. If he will not improve we can see if he will need medications. If you want to have them just in case . I always have medications and aquarium salt and epsom salt at home just in case of emergency. I would recommend TETRACYCLING API which is for gram positive and gram negative bacteria. I also mixed it with Fungus Eliminator by Jungle. It works good. This is the only one that i know you can mix together.

Not sure what another medications you can use i guess people will give you more advice.

But definitely start him on aquarium salt ASAP.
Check his poo also it important since he is bloated i want to make sure he don't have internal parasites

Also columnaris would be worse with wormer water so do not increase the water temperature. My betta live in 74*.
So don't worry your betta get cold.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #3 
Raspberry Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by BETTACHKALOVE View Post
So sorry :(Go buy Aquarium salt . You can find it in any pet store. It sometimes progress very fast.

Pre mix 2 teaspoons in one gall jug for the right dosage. You can take it from the spring water or even from milk. Shake it make sure it dissolved. As i remember from another post i think his tank is a little bit bigger than 1 gall. You can treat it in there just lower the water.

You will need to do 100% daily water changes. Usually aquarium salt 10 days not longer.

Also i know you wrote that he is constipated. But if you see his poo make sure it not white, clear stringy, and wormy like looking.

For constipation frozen daphnia recommended but then he is not eating though.

Also for medications. Be really careful with medications. Not all of them on the shelves will help.

I would start with aquarium salt and give us update. If he will not improve we can see if he will need medications. If you want to have them just in case . I always have medications and aquarium salt and epsom salt at home just in case of emergency. I would recommend TETRACYCLING API which is for gram positive and gram negative bacteria. I also mixed it with Fungus Eliminator by Jungle. It works good. This is the only one that i know you can mix together.

Not sure what another medications you can use i guess people will give you more advice.

But definitely start him on aquarium salt ASAP.
Check his poo also it important since he is bloated i want to make sure he don't have internal parasites

Also columnaris would be worse with wormer water so do not increase the water temperature. My betta live in 74*.
So don't worry your betta get cold.
Thank you.
Raspberry Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #4 
BETTACHKALOVE

I just sent pm to Oldfishlady look at your post. She is the one who everyone want opinion.

The reason why i am not sure because aq salt for fungus , fin rot that you fish has. But for bloating it Epsom salt . And usually you treat the one which is fatal. And since he didn't eat for 4 days and still bloated he needs Epsom salt which also will take care of the fin rot.

So wait for Oldfishlady to response. I really think you need Epsom salt. But if you will go to the store buy both. It not expansive and if you intend to have betta in you life i would have it.

The reason why i ask to check for poo. Because fish can be bloated d due to SBD or internal parasites, constipation, fluid build...

Last edited by BETTACHKALOVE; 04-16-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

We need some more info and a pic....

How long have you had the Betta and how long has he been sick-what all treatments have you tried-what was the first signs/symptoms...

How big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, filter, live plants, additives used, any tank mates, appetite-type/amount food.

A good clear pic of the white tufts would really help....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:52 AM   #6 
BETTACHKALOVE

How is your betta doing :) Thank you Oldfishlady for fast reply but looks like Raspberry never log in the forum .. i hope betta is fine :(