Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #1 
LuckyBlue

1 gallon question

I have my new guy in a one gallon until i get my tank i ordered. How often and how much should i change his water. Every other day??
LuckyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #2 
Mo

ideally one 100%, and one 50% water change weekly
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:41 AM   #3 
a123andpoof

+1 to mo
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #4 
tf1265

Depending on how long it will be until the new tank arrives, I would do 50% water changes every other day or so. If it will be more than a week, add in a weekly 100% change and gravel rinse.
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:50 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

IMO/E-1gal is fine for long term keeping for the long fin males-provided that the proper water changes are made to maintain water quality.

You can safely heat them-I like to use the preset Tetra brand 25w heaters-this will maintain the temp in the 76-82F range more or less- depending on the room temp

Filters are optional for this species IMO/E and especially in 1gal tanks-often they can be the cause of fin damage on the long fin males...kinda like the flag in the wind effect.....

In 1-4gal unfiltered tanks-water changes of twice weekly....1-50% water only and 1-100% should maintain water quality-provided that you are not overfeeding and uneaten food is removed within a reasonable time.

In 1-4gal filtered tanks-water changes of 50% twice weekly...1-50% water only and 1-50% to include the substrate by vacuum or stir and dip method.

Look forward to pics.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #6 
Kim

I would recommend that you buy an ammonia test kit and test daily until the new tank arrives. This is the only way you will know for sure if your water changes are sufficient to keep ammonia at 0 ppm. It seems that recommendations for tanks this size have changed since I first started keeping bettas. Usually people would recommend a full change at least every other day for setups this small, but now the commonality seems to be the 1 50% and 1 100% change each week. Since I've never had a non-cycled tank I can't say for sure... my best advice would be to just test the water and you will know if your water changes are sufficient. Good luck with your new fish!
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

The recommendation I provide are based on an experiment I conducted on several different tank sizes, with and without filters, substrate, tannins, live plants-for single adult Bettas housed with and without shrimp and/or snails-as well as using different foods- to find water change needs to maintain water quality.

Not a true scientific experiment, however, I did have a control tank to compare levels

I found that with this species too clean can be as bad as too dirty-its a balance of sorts to limit stress, enable antibody development to support a strong immune response.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:02 AM   #8 
LuckyBlue

Thanks ... the new guy is the one in my avatar...
LuckyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #9 
NessNieves

So this is my 3rd betta, but the first one that has survived longer than 2 months.....because of my past with Bettas I have become extremely anal (i guess yu can say) Ive had Leopold since December and I feel like he's doing great. I am also trying with ALL my power to make him comfortable nd happy. My husband thinks Im a Lil nuts, lol. I currently have him in 1.5 gal Brandy glass, and I change his decor about Every 2 weeks :-O I unfortunatly do not have a heater for him, and would love to know of any suggestions on heaters and sizes that will fit in his bowl. as soon as i can I will put pictures up. Thanks for any help!!!
NessNieves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #10 
kfryman

NessNeives, it would be better to start your own thread and ask your question. You will get more answers and the person that made this thread can get their answers.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote