Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #1 
BlueViolet

Unhappy Help! Is my betta sick?

I bought a betta fish from Petco last Saturday and the next day my daughter told me she was pregnant. Well after some research I found that a bloated belly usually means a fish is sick, namely with dropsy which is fatal. Is there no coming back from this?

I did some more research and bought a heater, aquarium salt, and betta fix. She is in a one gallon tank with spring water (no filter). She was swimming frantically for a couple of days, but has since calmed down a little. Her under-belly is silver but since I have not had her long I'm not sure if this is normal for her. Her body is a bluish purple, and her head is now a dark purple color. She still seems active and has a good appetite. Please help!

Thanks!
BlueViolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #2 
Beall

I had this same problem from one of my walmart bought Bettas.

Im sure there are many remedies to choose, and medications to use. But I just did a conservative, more natural approach.

Increase water changes to 100% daily.
Use 1tsp of (AS) / gallon of water.
and believe it or not, bettas can over eat. Its said that their stomachs are as small as their eye. Insane!! So you may watch her diet. Only feed her what she can eat in a 2 minute period. Also, its known to be healthy to skip one day a week of feeding. its good on the digestive tract.

*remember not to do the saltwater treatments for a period more than 10 days. And also, frozen peas, are supposedly good to help with constipation and bloating. But I hear that it can be bad for the overall health of your little friend.
Beall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #3 
Tikibirds

She/he may just be bloated. How often and what are you feeding?

generally for dropsy there other symptoms like clamped fins, color loss, lethargy. The most common is called pineconning - their scales raise off their body and they look like a pinecone when looking at them from the top down. Are you sure its dropsy?

I would think it may be bloating/constipation. Try fasting for a day or two and see if the bulge goes away. You can also put the fish in epsom salt - not aquarium salt (for bloating). 1 teaspoon per gallon. Mix the salt in a milk jug with conditioned water. once it disolves you can add the fish to it. be sure its plain epsom - not scented. Unlike aquarium salt, epsom can be used for weeks if needed.

Quote:
Its said that their stomachs are as small as their eye. Insane!! So you may watch her diet. Only feed her what she can eat in a 2 minute period. Also, its known to be healthy to skip one day a week of feeding. its good on the digestive tract.
Yup. Sometimes they get swim bladder disease which is caused by over feeding and then they swim sideways, upside down, butt up, ect. Its usually not fatal but it makes the fish look pathetic.

are you using conditioner? its cheaper and usually better to use tap water with a good water conditioner the spring or distilled.

a pic would help if you can get one

One last thing - be careful with the bettafix. Petstores push it on customers but alot of people have reported betta deaths from using it, and alot of people claim its a miracle drug. It has a tree oil that can harm their breathing organ, so do not OD on it - follow the directions or maybe use a little less then the directions say. I wouldn't use it unless you are certain its dropsy and not bloating.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 04-10-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #4 
Laki

Pics please. This can be one of the 3 things you listed symptoms for. I highly doubt she's pregnant though, probably been in a cup too long.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:01 PM   #5 
Tikibirds

Duh...I assumed the fish was a male but if she is female she may be eggy which would also result in a big belly. Is there a male nearby if she is female?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Female bettas don't get pregnant. They are egg layers.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #7 
Laki

SWollen belly= eggs? That's what I think the op meant by "pregnant".
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote