Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #51 
Shirleythebetta

It's my favorite too. Aside from a few squabbles its been my happiest and healthiest tank system.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #52 
sparkyjoe

OK, now y'all are just confusing me! :)

Just when I decide I wanna do the community I read about how it's someone's favorite tank and that it can be done. But then someone else warns me about being prepared to separate them and that warns me off because I already have 4 tanks set up and the 29 will be my biggest tank ever.

I should be getting 4 tanks, one of which is a 10 gallon, which I was thinking of dividing for a couple of males.

Sigh. So many decisions.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:57 PM   #53 
Sakura8

I have, aside from 11 small betta tanks, a 55 gallon, a 29 gallon, and a 10 gallon guppy fry tank. My sorority is the least troublesome of all the tanks (algae outbreak aside). It's a little work in the start but if you start out right, you'll be fine. Just pick your girls carefully and make sure you have lots of plants and hiding holes. And a breeder's net.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:38 PM   #54 
Shirleythebetta

yep, make sure you get girls that aren't flaring at eachother much. Make sure it's dense and lots of hidey places. If they get to agressive just cup the instigator for a couple of days and re-release. The theory is if you have an agressive girl cupped and she can't reach who she flares at she learns not to touch them. If she is still agressive, cup and re-release again. You do hear many horror stories but you have to try it yourself. Don't base your descisions off of someone else's experiences. If you want to do it try it out and see for yourself. It was worth it for me and I really enjoy it. You see new behaviors that you would never see if they were alone. Not just negative ones. I love when my Patty cuddles my other girl Shirley. It's really sweet and you get to see an affectionate side of an agressive fish.

Also, I have alot of tanks too. My sorority hasn't taken my attention off of any of them. Just keep an eye on them for the first couple days. I have 10 tanks all together.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:43 PM   #55 
Sakura8

I had to try my sorority three times before they finally got along. Now they actually mope if I have to separate one. It just takes time and a maybe a few false starts. :)
Old 04-26-2012, 11:45 PM   #56 
Shirleythebetta

You know, I didn't have that kind of trouble. I still have one bully, Wanda. Patty puts her in her place though. I have never had anything too serious other than Rosey getting attacked. I think they sensed she was weak though. I think she had some kind of bacterial issue.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:05 AM   #57 
Sakura8

I had two girls who were almost identical to each other and I think it drove them insane. They did the tail slapping when they first were together and neither would back off.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:12 AM   #58 
Shirleythebetta

ha! The tailslapping is hilarious. Cap used to do that to his thermometor at a full flare. It was so funny. He would approach it slowly, puff up and then slap! slap! slap!
Old 04-27-2012, 12:38 AM   #59 
sparkyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleythebetta View Post
ha! The tailslapping is hilarious. Cap used to do that to his thermometor at a full flare. It was so funny. He would approach it slowly, puff up and then slap! slap! slap!
Hahaha!

I'm still torn, but these posts make me feel better, thanks.

About the only things I'm fairly sure of is that I'd like to have a Bristlenose Pleco and Red Cherry Shrimp, the rest is still under consideration.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:44 AM   #60 
Sakura8

Shirley, ohmigosh, that sounds hilarious!!! I've never seen one of my males tail slap, just my girls.

Sparky, I'm glad we're making you feel better. I'm sure you'll make the right decisions. :)