Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #1 
wulfie

opinions needed please

I haven't gotten a betta yet, but really want to! My question is, is this a good 'starter' tank?
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...26amp%3B+Bowls
Any and all opinions are welcome/appreciated ;)
wulfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #2 
Sketch

I'm not sure if anyone would agree, but I started mine in a great big glass cookie jar (about 2.5 gal). It was super cheap at a second hand shop and works really well, and fish is quite happy in it. These are fine too from my experience, depending on money you want to invest at first. Im advancing now to a ten gallon tank with dividers.
Sketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #3 
EvilVOG

i have one in a 3 gallon Eclipse, very similar to the betta bow tanks. Mine has a filter on it, but it's not really necessary. I think it's a great tank for a betta, but i wouldn't put anything else in there except maybe a snail (decorations are fine). Throw the divider out. You may want to put a heater in it if it doesn't stay around 76-80 degrees.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #4 
lilyth88

That is currently the tank Gandalf lives in. The filter is a bit strong for them, so I would recommend baffling it.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:09 PM   #5 
duluoz

I have a 2.4 gal aqueon bow. It was pretty cheap, and I haven't had any problems. The only thing I was disappointed in was that I had to get a bigger tank to put in more fish, but if you are a beginner, like me, then a 2.5 or a little bigger is probably what you need anyway.
duluoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #6 
Tikibirds

as long as you still do weekly water changes, even with the filter, It will be a fine home.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:20 AM   #7 
copperarabian

That's a great little tank although the filter needs to be baffled(a aquarium sponge + rubber band works).
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:27 AM   #8 
Thunderloon

Overall I'd say move directly up to the Hex5 tank.

Five gallons gives you room for a lot of decorating, the marineland filter is a very well developed system even if you ignore the bio-wheel. If you don't like the bio-wheel you can just cut-to-fit a medium density sponge into the socket the wheel goes into but I doubt you'll meet anyone who has ever overloaded a bio-wheel.

Other options would be a $29.00 5gal glass kit from walmart with a big honking sponge over the return or even the 10 gallon kit from walmart. Both these kits include all the same features but use exceptionally well refined filtration with a long proven development and lifespan... with the benefit of being GLASS so you'll be able to grind away any algae or mineral deposits without much risk of eroding the inner surface.

I'd take a 5g Aqua-Tech kit over ANY smaller kit of any type. The fact that the price difference allows for the purchase of a basic heater is a definite bonus.

I find myself wishing that there was a standard cubic 5gal tank maker out there.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:22 AM   #9 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderloon View Post
Overall I'd say move directly up to the Hex5 tank.

Five gallons gives you room for a lot of decorating, the marineland filter is a very well developed system even if you ignore the bio-wheel. If you don't like the bio-wheel you can just cut-to-fit a medium density sponge into the socket the wheel goes into but I doubt you'll meet anyone who has ever overloaded a bio-wheel.

Other options would be a $29.00 5gal glass kit from walmart with a big honking sponge over the return or even the 10 gallon kit from walmart. Both these kits include all the same features but use exceptionally well refined filtration with a long proven development and lifespan... with the benefit of being GLASS so you'll be able to grind away any algae or mineral deposits without much risk of eroding the inner surface.

I'd take a 5g Aqua-Tech kit over ANY smaller kit of any type. The fact that the price difference allows for the purchase of a basic heater is a definite bonus.

I find myself wishing that there was a standard cubic 5gal tank maker out there.
I agree about the Aqua-Tech. For $30 you get everything but the heater, deco and fish. Plus the filters are so quiet.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote