Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2012, 12:30 PM   #1 
vanroe214

My friend's betta isn't well, please help

My friend's betta is not well. I tried looking through this thread to see if I could find what it has but I really can't tell. My friend said the fins look like they're "stuck together" so I guess she means that the fins are clamped. It's sitting at the bottom of the tank (this fish is in a 10 gallon tank, with filter and heater, conditioned as well and it's by itself). Anyway, the fish isn't really moving from the bottom of the tank and she said that the fish is breathing heavily. She doesn't know how much it gets fed because her sister feeds it while shes at college during the week so I thought it could be that swim bladder but I'm not too sure. I'm assuming the fish gets fed a lot though. Does anyone have any idea what this is and how can we fix it?

Also, my friend said she tried feeding the fish today and it wouldn't eat.

Last edited by vanroe214; 04-17-2012 at 12:43 PM. Reason: adding info
vanroe214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #2 
MollyJean

Do you know the temperature in the tank and if the owner uses any chemicals? Do you know if there have been any major changes lately, like water changes or changes in the decorations? It's hard to figure out what is causing a problem without all the conditions, but stuck together fins could be from being too cold or stressed due to environment changes, or something as serious as fin rot.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #3 
vanroe214

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyJean View Post
Do you know the temperature in the tank and if the owner uses any chemicals? Do you know if there have been any major changes lately, like water changes or changes in the decorations? It's hard to figure out what is causing a problem without all the conditions, but stuck together fins could be from being too cold or stressed due to environment changes, or something as serious as fin rot.
i set the heater myself, it stays at 78-80 degrees, the only thing different in the environment is a little plant she got a week or so ago, real plant not fake. Its actually the same plant that I bought when I got my tank, I remember when I read the directions it said to rinse the plant thoroughly, I'm not sure if she did or not, I will ask. If she didn't, could that be what caused this?
vanroe214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:18 PM   #4 
wystearya

How often is the water changed? And how much (like 25%) is changed when this is done?

I know that live plants can carry diseases. It is recommended to quarantine new plants for at least a few days in tap water (no dechlorinator) to try to kill off any pathogens. I unfortunately had a fish die not long after adding new plants not long ago. I still wonder if it is because I didn't think to quarantine the plants. :/
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:31 AM   #5 
Tikibirds

I would do a 50% water change and see if that makes any difference.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #6 
ZackyBear

Could it be velvet? :o
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #7 
Laki

Hm. I would clean the water, stick in some IAL and turn down the lights. Fast him for a day or two.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote