Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #11 
JBosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
How much lighting for how long will there be? Usually anubias, and java rn dnt do well in direct light while Rotala Rotundifolia, does especially well in direct sunlight for 8-10+ hours
Indirect lighting for about 2 hrs in the morning and around 4-5hrs in the afternoon I do believe!
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #12 
Mo

You would want low light plants such as anacharis, hornwort, java moss, and duckweed
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:43 PM   #13 
JBosley

Quote:
You would want low light plants such as anacharis, hornwort, java moss, and duckweed
Mo, you are amazing! Thanks
Old 04-28-2012, 09:44 PM   #14 
Mo

Your welcome. I would work on getting some source of light other than from the windows though, but for now it would be best if you could keep the windows open and possibly place a lamp by the tank
Old 04-28-2012, 10:03 PM   #15 
JBosley

Quote:
Your welcome. I would work on getting some source of light other than from the windows though, but for now it would be best if you could keep the windows open and possibly place a lamp by the tank
I have a small LED light I could easily attach to the tank, would that be okay? Also, what is sand like as a substrate for plants? Better than gravel? And whats it like to clean?
Old 04-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #16 
Mo

Sand substrate allows easier root system spread becuase of how soft and how small the grains are, compared to gravel that will make the plants have a slight struggle when growing. The large pebbles make it hard for the plants to grow and spread

,Cleaning sand substrate is very easy, hovering the siphon over the sand will not disturb the sand itself but It will suck in the waste and debris. The sand is known to "compact" and get very tight over time though so regularly stirring the sand will greatly reduce the possibility of this happening.

depending on the wattage, an LED light should work great, the above plants I suggested (anacharis, hornwort, java moss, and duckweed) will all thrive in this type of setup
Old 04-28-2012, 10:17 PM   #17 
JBosley

Quote:
Sand substrate allows easier root system spread becuase of how soft and how small the grains are, compared to gravel that will make the plants have a slight struggle when growing. The large pebbles make it hard for the plants to grow and spread

,Cleaning sand substrate is very easy, hovering the siphon over the sand will not disturb the sand itself but It will suck in the waste and debris. The sand is known to "compact" and get very tight over time though so regularly stirring the sand will greatly reduce the possibility of this happening.

depending on the wattage, an LED light should work great, the above plants I suggested (anacharis, hornwort, java moss, and duckweed) will all thrive in this type of setup
Sand it is! I love the look of it, was just worried about the cleaning. Is it okay for the fish to be in the tank while stirring the sand? I honestly have no clue what the wattage is, it is the light from this tank:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...26amp%3B+Bowls

I use the tank as a Quarantine or a holding tank when I had 2 gallon tanks for all 3 of my fish.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #18 
Mo

Yes. That should support growth of hornwort, anacharis, java moss, and duckweed yet, it can't support a large amount. Of it because of the low amount of fertilization and Co2.

You can leave the fish in there when stirring the sand given that you vigorously clean it before its introduced into the tank, without a cleaning the tank will become extremely dirty and cloudy during stirring the sand.

Good luck!
Old 04-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #19 
JBosley

Quote:
Yes. That should support growth of hornwort, anacharis, java moss, and duckweed yet, it can't support a large amount. Of it because of the low amount of fertilization and Co2.

You can leave the fish in there when stirring the sand given that you vigorously clean it before its introduced into the tank, without a cleaning the tank will become extremely dirty and cloudy during stirring the sand.

Good luck!
Thanks! I'm getting excited to do this now haha It's a 5 gallon Fluval Chi, so I won't be adding TONS of plants anyways. I don't like the tank looking over-crowded. Just thought my little tail bitter might enjoy a natural planted tank
Old 04-28-2012, 10:25 PM   #20 
Mo

I bet that he will enjoy the additions of plants. My fish love planted tanks

Good luck! I'm glad that I could help!