Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2012, 08:11 AM   #21 
Sheldon31

Walmart horrified me! Do you just pick up a cup with a fish and take it to the checkout like you would with a microwave meal? Scary! Is there no questions asked at all? Like when I go to pets at home I am asked a series of questions that are written down on my receipt like what size is my tank, how long its been running, if there is any other fish in there and when the tank was last stocked. They also check you have a heater before they will sell you tropical fish. Their goldfish care is slacking compared to tropical fish. I think it's because goldfish are 1.29 and they do do 2 for 2 offers and stuff while a betta is 4.99 for a male. (they will not under any circumstances sell you 2 at the same time even if you swear down blind that you have 2 tanks) Females are 3.99.

Don't worry TwilightStorm I wasn't calling you out on it or anything lol. I know you weren't accusing anyone of anything. I think we've got our wires crossed. It's hard on the net where it's just words and no body language etc. Sorry if I came across wrong.
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #22 
Sivan

Yes, the sad truth is you just pick up a fish, place him in your basket and move on. Nobody checks to make sure you have the right equipment unless you ask, in which case you get directed to the "betta tanks" which are all under a gallon. Oh, and, I just saw a revival in the horrid betta vases in my Walmart. Absolutely terrible.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #23 
Sheldon31

<<Insert completely shocked and horrified face!
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #24 
Sivan

Yeah. Personally, I would prefer if they didn't sell ANY animals at all. There is no need or place for it in a store like that. The goldfish are almost always kept in the tanks with long-dead fish, have diseases, and the clerks will just scoop them out and hand them to you in a baggy to ring up at the cash register.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #25 
Betta16

As a person that works for a chain, I have bin working on trying to get the Cups out and 1/2 gal Barracks put in, Iv even invested my own money into looking at how to do this. If you want this typ of change you need to show new ideas and show other places that have put said ideas or better one into use. if you want a big company to lisssen to you talk about how the low cost could put them ahead of the others in the market and how a bigger viewing window from the 1/2Gal would sell more fish. Ideas are heard complant are mean nothing with out wel thout out ideas. try being a voice of reson. an note a nagging blow hard like Peta (sorry but peta has a horried track recorder out here). Ill like your page glad to see poeple working at this.
Betta16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:54 PM   #26 
BeckyFish97

Sivan:
Thats not far from me!Lol if you want OHM white fish and you're passing in a couple of months (lol after my boy and girl arrive on the 5th I will be breeding them!) then let me know and I might have one or two for you :)
Sheldon:That sounds like they're finally realising that the things they sell are actually living animals lol!

Last edited by BeckyFish97; 04-19-2012 at 06:57 PM.
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:54 PM   #27 
Sivan

Becky: Not only do I LOVE OHM and have always wanted a solid, strong, white one, but I'd love knowing mine came from a reputable person who takes good care of betta fish! That being said.... unfortunately, I am no longer in England, or the UK for that matter. I have returned to the United States and will not be able to take a beautiful betta from you. :( I do hope you will find a good home for them though!
Old 04-19-2012, 09:57 PM   #28 
Sivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta16 View Post
As a person that works for a chain, I have bin working on trying to get the Cups out and 1/2 gal Barracks put in, Iv even invested my own money into looking at how to do this. If you want this typ of change you need to show new ideas and show other places that have put said ideas or better one into use. if you want a big company to lisssen to you talk about how the low cost could put them ahead of the others in the market and how a bigger viewing window from the 1/2Gal would sell more fish. Ideas are heard complant are mean nothing with out wel thout out ideas. try being a voice of reson. an note a nagging blow hard like Peta (sorry but peta has a horried track recorder out here). Ill like your page glad to see poeple working at this.
I would give you pictures but unfortunately I am no longer in the UK and have not seen store set ups over here that are good. Sheldon, can you take pictures of proper set ups in pet stores?
Old 04-19-2012, 10:50 PM   #29 
Pitluvs

Our pet store has a Betta wall, a wall with 0.33g tank, about 48 of them. They are not heated and not cleaned as often as they should be but they are better than cups. I have personally only bought 1 betta from a cup, and that's because he wasn't put in the tanks yet. But my store still promotes small tanks, no heaters needed, bloodworms are fine blah blah blah. I've actually officially sworn off buying anything from there and plan to email corp tomorrow. Found out tonight that the reason we only have blue and red VTs is because all the workers take home the nice Bettas when they arrive in shipment :(

Oh and our WalMart stopped selling Bettas in 2004, I bought the last one :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:56 PM   #30 
Sivan

Glad to hear you're contacting them, Pitluvs. Be gentle, they are on their way to better care. Education is the best way to go. If they are shown facts I am sure they will listen!