Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 09:56 PM   #1 
indjo
TFK Moderator

King and Giant Bettas

IDENTIFYING KING AND GIANT BETTAS
Unlike giant bettas, little is known about king bettas’ origin. Some believe that it is a hybrid between betta splendens and betta raja (raja = king). While some also contend that Petco's king betta is a well-bred, newly domesticated strain of betta raja. (Juniper Russo "King Betta" Variety Sold at Petco - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com) But the fact is Splendens and Raja cannot be crossed bred due to their different breeding habits – splendens being nesters while rajas are mouth brooder. And King betta does not show any raja traits.

Viewing their size, which is said to reach over 5-6cm/2’ BO or a total of 7.5cm/3’, many including myself believe that these bettas are simply half giants – incomplete giant genes. They have giant genes but not enough alleles to enable them to grow to the of maximum 7’. That being said, in this article both giants and kings will be regarded as of the same trait and origin.

Giants bettas were genetically developed by Thai breeders (Mr. Athapon Ritanapichad, Mr. Natee Ritanapichad and Mr. Wasan Sattayapun) from large regular green PK’s. It is said that giant bettas can reach a total of 17.5cm/7” (Jim Sonnier). Local breeders in my area say they can reach 12cm/almost 5” (body only-BO) in a year, but most only reach a maximum of 10cm or 4” BO. Today giants come in all fin types, though some still rare – PK, HM, CT, and DT .

Giant Genetics :
Giant x Giant =
In general, Giants are genetically unstable. Though they’re genes are incompletely dominant over regular genes (Jim sonnier in bettysplendens) and will produce larger than usual bettas (half giants) when crossed to regular sized bettas, nevertheless breeding two giants WILL NOT produce 100% giants. The most I’ve heard is only 30% while the rest consist of regulars, larger than regular, and half giants. The punnet square doesn’t seem to apply if using simple single genetic traits. A more acceptable explanation was made by Dr. Lucas who holds the opinion that giants might be a result of multi-factor genes (bettysplendens) which explains why giant spawns always produce a variety of sizes. .... (I just found a comment claiming their giant produced 80% giants....???)

Giant x regular =
Crossing Giants to Regulars will produce 50-50% regular sized and half giant bettas (Jim Sonnier). To my experience this wasn’t the case. I only got regulars and similar sized genos. And often the problem is identifying the genos since both have similar sized bodies. We can assume that the fast growers are the geno’s but this isn’t always true because the regulars will inherit the giant’s appetite thus will grow as fast. So breeding giants to regulars is often a gamble, specially for novice breeders and is not advised.

F1 giant geno x giant =
To return them to giant size it is advised that F1 giant genos/half giants are back crossed to the father or bred to another pure giant. Inbreeding F1 siblings often produces more non giants. Some breeders claim to have produced half giants from such inbreeding but many more say otherwise. Through F1 x giant back cross, at least King sized bettas will be achieved in the third generation. But I’m not sure how many generations it will take to return them to the actual giants. They will need the whole set of genes

Name:  Giant breeding 02.jpg
Views: 27676
Size:  23.9 KB

Although giant size is genetic, their maximum size is highly dependent on feeding and water quality during the first few months after hatching. It is recommended that they are kept in bigger and filtered tanks and fed as often and as much as they will eat. They have tremendous appetites and will devour 2 – 3 times more food than their regular sized cousins. They must reach 5-6cm/2.5” (BO) by 4 months, 7’-8cm/over 3’ (BO) by 6 months (good giant genes can grow 4cm in 2 months, 6 cm in 3 months). Otherwise it’s unlikely they will reach the maximum size of 12cm/-5’ (BO).

General Care
In terms of water parameter, giants require the same treatment as regular sized splendens. Logically they need bigger tanks and the amount of wastes they produce demands more water changes. Rapid growth and immense appetite results in poor immune system and poor adaptive abilities to new environment/water and food. They are vulnerable against digestive issues and parasites thus need super clean environment and food because the slightest infection may end up killing them. Live brine shrimp and live/frozen daphnia should be made a regular part of their diet, as both these foods act as a mild laxative. (bettysplendens.com)

Diseases
Most diseases are caused by bad water – parasites. It’s best to avoid disease by keeping the water super clean and avoid feeding adults (the bigger/older, the easier they’re infected) live foods from unknown origin.

One way to avoid illnesses is through genetic adaptation - breed and raise them in conditions they will probably live in. This should build a natural immune system. Feeding live foods when young also helps develop better immune systems.

Some soak live foods in medication for about 15 minutes before feeding. IMO this does more harm than good in the long run because too many meds in their system may make the parasite immune to the chemical or worse – it may destroy the bettas internal organs.

Diseases - FISH-DISEASE.NET
1. Digestive/internal related
They are unable to excrete wastes thus their stomachs becomes bloated and eventually will stop eating. Often swelling – either the whole body or the stomach area. Sometimes releases long whitish wastes.
Dropsy - swelling of the body until the scales protrude due to internal organ failure.

Causes: over use of salt, bad water, and bad diet – all of which induces bacterial infection direct and through worms.

Treatment: internal diseases are often too late when they show symptoms. But stronger individuals sometimes pulls through with an overdose of bacterial/viral medications (my experience). Some add antibiotics to the treatment. In most cases the betta doesn’t make it, specially against dropsy.

2. External infection
Small hole/wound on the head area which in time develops and erupts. This infestation is contagious.

Causes: A parasite, flagellate Hexamita, which infects the gallbladder, intestines and blood stream. Often sudden changes in water parameters and or bad water causes stress and compromises their immune system.

Treatment: The medication Metronidazole (Flagyl).

3. Gill related issues
Parasite infection on the gills/breathing organs. It is often shown by small jumping every time they need air. And is often the cause of what seems to be a sudden death.

Causes: fluke Dactylogyrus, which destroys gill tissue and damage blood vessels in this area.

Treatment: Treat with Clout, Fluke Tabs, Paraform, Trifon, Paragon, Quick Cure, Formalin, or Parasite Guard. Gill flukes are highly contagious, therefore, all fish in the same aquarium should be treated.

.................................................. .......................

Last edited by indjo; 04-17-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:37 AM   #2 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I recently posted this in the Betta Pictures section:

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...2/#post1130188

I post it here to invite criticism and discussion.
--------------------------------------

Here we go again!

1) "King" is a Petco marketing term indicating their line of larger-than-standard sized Betta. I have only seen Plakats. Other tail types are extremely rare and not likely to show up at Petco

2) Giants are B. splendens. Most other large wild Betta are mouthbrooders and cannot be crossed with B. splendens.

3) There is a genetic component to giantism (recessive). Absolute size is, therefore not the sole determinant. It is conceivable that you may see a genetic giant smaller than a large regular Betta.

4) The IBC (International Betta Congress) and most breeders measure their fish from nose to caudal peduncle (the start of the tail) not to the end of the tail. To avoid confusion, they sometimes say "BO"---Body Only. I have a 4 inch VT, but his body is two inches long. He's a fair-size fish but no giant.

Here's an article by a master breeder and member of this forum. Its status as a sticky testifies to its acceptance and agreement of other breeders and members.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...-bettas-99066/

There's a lot of information about giant Betta online. Need I say more?
Old 06-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #3 
Ilikebutterflies

I have been wondering about this topic. According to the information flip book at Petco the "King" betta is a giant. The book specifically states "giant". Is it legal to market half giant fry as "Kings"? I guess I'd have to find out it the term is trademarked by Petco. As far as giving different names to fish that don't reach the full 3" and those that do...well, aquabid breeders don't even do that. They sell fish as giants that never reach 3+". Does that become false advertising or is it luck of the draw? Or do you just wait and buy older fish that are 3+"? I suppose that's fine if you are buying pets but if you are breeding I understand that it is harder to breed them the older they get.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:52 AM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

If there is any Giant genetics in a fish, they're justified in calling it a Giant, regardless of its actual size.

At least that's the argument they'd use in court.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:54 AM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

The problem with buying young giants is that not all fry will grow to be actual giants. Some merely grow larger than regular, some become half giants and few turn out to be big giants. But they all grow at about the same rate until they suddenly stop growing. On the other hand if you buy older and bigger giants, you might pull out your hair (so to speak) trying to breed them. LOL

As far as I know the first giants only grew about 7.5cm/3" - or half giants. So for many Asians (mainly in Ind) 5.5cm are considered to be small giants. They do not recognize Kings or half giants. Thus they would sell anything that size as giants. They are not intentionally mis-labelling their stock because by their standards, those bettas are giants.

Keep in mind that true giants can grow 4cm in 2 months and 6cm in 3 months if raised correctly. The half giants will at least grow to 5.5cm in 4 months. Avoid buying anything smaller than that because you face bigger risk of buying non giants.

note: All measurements are body only
Old 12-01-2012, 07:06 PM   #6 
dragon tamer

I have to get my hundred posts in so I'll start here not to beat a dead horsefaced loach but I wonder if anyone has explored the idea that these fish began as an artificial hybrid of B. splendens with a larger species and then developed. All I keep reading is they could not hybridize due to the different styles of reproduction . Why could one not strip a few males over a spawn or better strip a few females into the milt of another species and go from there . Drop them in with a bubble-nester or mouth brooder and let them do the work. Stranger mufti-generic hybrids have occurred. it would not have to be done on a large scale either. get a couple of fertile female giants and your off and running. Keep selecting for the largest of them and back crossing to the originals and your there. It could well explain the large variation in the size of the fry produced. just a thought.

The one I have shows"wild spots in tail and dorsal so I suspect there is some hybrid (Imbellis or smaragdina is traditional) involved in the original "splendens" used anyway.

BTW some probably are not aware that fish have indeterminate growth meaning they may slow down as they age but they continue to grow so some of these 3" kings may well grow out into giants of 4 + if kept alive long enough. I just got one of these fish and am planning on getting a female or two to try my hand at breeding them . anyone in the seattle area that has true giant females please let me know if they are available
Old 12-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #7 
Mo

http://bettysplendens.com/articles/p...?articleid=936
Old 12-02-2012, 02:20 AM   #8 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I see you recognize that Betta cannot interbreed across the barrier of reproductive type (nestbrooders/mouthbrooders). Are you suggesting some kind of artificial insemination---fishy-style? It's likely that a breeder would want to keep the splenden gene uncorrupted in order to back-cross with the color and/or configuration desired. I would.

Jim Sonnier knows a lot more about it than I do, but I remain to be convinced that there is anything as simple as a "giant gene," per se. I think it's probably a combination of genes which influence the pituitary to produce growth hormone at certain crucial times---my simplistic understanding, learned fifty years ago in school, of how giants are produced in the animal kingdom. That plus good early breeder selection and keeping promising fry away from stunting hormone might be enough.

But there are others around here who know more about it than I do, like Junglist, a breeder in the Seattle area who has experience with giant Betta.

My little giant has wild spots, too, as well as others I've seen. I'm not surprised to find a little "wild" in their heritage any more than in standard-sized Betta.

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by Hallyx; 12-02-2012 at 02:38 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:39 AM   #9 
dragon tamer

yeah, that is what I was suggesting as they would do with salmon and trout . you could conceivably milk the fish of their milt and roe and mix the two. Then either rear the eggs and fry artificially or give them to a mouth brooder or a bubble-nester to care for. It seems a lot of work but so does selection however in light of the article sited above I guess selection is most likely. I had not seen this article before. My king is building a nest suddenly and it's big and solid . I'm hopin he'll spawn with one of the females in the tank tomorrow morning.
I'll hope junglist will contact me with a female giant for sale . hehe.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:35 AM   #10 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Fish large enough to be handled can be artificially inseminated. But splendens are too small - whether to milk or injected. This MAY be possible in a lab, but is it worth the trouble? I doubt Asians would do this - the first giants came from Asia (Thailand).

I'm not really sure what you mean by "wild spots" but wild/natural color of splendens also have irid spots. You can't really say there was a cross somewhere up its line. But if it were a hybrid, it should show (some individual) traits like spade caudal, tiny dorsal . . . physical appearances like that. Though these traits would probably be bred out, but a few individual giant bettas would still show them - if they were a hybrid.

Good luck with your giants. Don't forget to make a spawn log and share you experience with everyone.
Closed Thread