Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2012, 10:37 PM   #1 
Dozzem

Exclamation Dropsy!

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5ish tank I am not to sure
What temperature is your tank? room temp (lives in south CA) so maybe in the 70s
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? the good pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? two pellets, 3-4 times a week (really random...)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? I did a water change last moneday
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water betta safe conditioner stuff

Water Parameters:
x never treated

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? paler, discolored... raised scales
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he is always a slow fish but he has been acting odd. As if he suddenly became a retard
When did you start noticing the symptoms? a week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I am starting a one gallon tank with 1tsp esmon salt and soon to add his cave. I am also adding cup fulls of the same mix to his tank slowly before I move him to his other tank
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I do not think so but he was a resue(from really bad water and a reptile store!)
How old is your fish (approximately)? i got him as a small thing, maybe a few months so maybe 3/4 a year old or older now

He is a very odd boy but I do love him. I don't give him the care he needs. I know I should change the water much more. My orignal plan was a 100% one week and a 50% or 75% the next. I did have him and my other fish going really on this but I lost my iphone so I have been forgetting. I know, not right at all.

I have a bubbler, mossball, bigger tank, a lot of smaller tanks, esmon salt, AQ salt, cave, decor, and other bettas to look at with me. I do have a heater but it is to big for most of my tanks...

Please help my little guy!

Sorry I have bad spelling and I am in a rush to get this posted!

Last edited by Dozzem; 04-17-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Dozzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:45 PM   #2 
Dozzem

Update!

I KNOW THE PROBLEM! His coconut cave has clear fuzzy stuff growing on it!! I took it out right away. I added about 3/4 of a gallon of 1st to gallon freash water to his tank (It is close to over flowing) I comfurm it is drospy! It really stinks and I hope it is not to late.

I am thinking about placing him in the one gallon, bare bottem tank I have set aside with the same 1tsp to one gallon mix tommarrow morning.

I found this stuff in my fish suppies: http://www.petco.com/product/118189/...eCat=LookAhead should I use it or stick with my plan?
Old 04-18-2012, 12:48 AM   #3 
Luimeril

honestly, your water change schedule is a bit... lacking. in a tank that small, you should do 2 water changes a week.

an exact reading on his water temperature would be good, as well.

epsom salt is a good starter. uumm... i'm treating my female for Dropsy, as well, but can't get the salt, so i'm having to do things differently. is he still very active? or just.... blah?
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:58 AM   #4 
kfryman

My betta Kei was suffering from dropsy for a couple weeks before I realized. He had started going through organ failure, so it was no longer reversible for him. I put him to sleep using clove oil, it is really one of few humane ways that the fish doesn't feel much of anything. Find some just in case, I got mine at GNC.

Sakura told me that usually once pineconing it is in the more advance stages, which is really hard to reverse :( I really hope he can pull through though!
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:08 AM   #5 
Luimeril

it was suggested for me to use KanaPlex, i think it's called, on Medic. it treats alot of things, and Dropsy's one of them. my gal's still VERY active, and eating, so i have hope. no harm in trying to treat them, despite the pine coning, as long as you're sure they're not suffering in any way. imo, the attitude of the betta shows this. a betta in pain isn't going to be too active, ya know?
Old 04-18-2012, 01:16 AM   #6 
LionCalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
honestly, your water change schedule is a bit... lacking. in a tank that small, you should do 2 water changes a week.

an exact reading on his water temperature would be good, as well.
+1

Definitely get an aquarium thermometer (they are cheap at Walmart). Knowing the temp of the water is important. I also live in California, but I have to use heaters in all my tanks (all year long even), to keep them warm enough.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:20 AM   #7 
Luimeril

two dollars at walmart. :B i have one in Medic's hospital tank. it floats. she likes to lay by it at the surface.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:18 AM   #8 
Dozzem

He is somewhat active as in swim arounds a little bit and then rest on the bottem. I forgot to say that his belly is white and odd looking. He is breathing heavy sence I got the salt in there but he made the night. I understand my water thing is not the best. I am planing an unpgrade for my bigger fish to a round kritter keeper that is 2gal or so and Poni (sickling) will have that tank that is bigger than his.

It looks like each time a fish gets sick I do as well... sick isn't to much fun