Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #11 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleythebetta View Post
Oh boy, glad to know i'm not the only one who has issues. The thing I do the most is walk into a room determined to find something and instantly forget what I am looking for, Walk out and remember, then forget as soon as I go through the door again. Did that three times in a row one day.
I have also lost two sets of car keys one year ago and another set shortly after that. My husband had to replace the ignition in the middle of January. I still have yet to find either set of keys.
I read an article not long ago explaining that apparently doorways cause people to forget things - even watching your avatar walk through a doorway on a computer can cause this. They suggested saying what you need to do aloud as you walk through the door. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #12 
Sakura8

*walks into grocery store chanting "I came for cereal and soup, I came for cereal and soup, I came for cereal and soup . . ."*
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #13 
Laki

That never works for me!! If I was to chant a list I would get bored and tell myself I will remember what I need, then forget the second I enter the store. I believe you on the doorway thing! Fortunately I have myself in the habit of writing lists and keeping an agenda!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:37 PM   #14 
dramaqueen
Banned

After my last dinner theater performance I came home and decided to take a nap because I was really tired. I ended up sleeping for about 2-3 hours. At 7:30 pm I woke up but wasn't out of bed. I heard my mom yell for me to get up. I wondered why it was still dark out. I went downstairs and asked my mom why she wanted me to to get up so early. She said because I wouldn't sleep later that night. Then I thought oh shoot, I forgot to put the trash out so I put the trash out and I saw that my neighbors were all up. I looked at my watch and then it dawned on me that it was night time and the trash men didn't come until the next morning. Lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:53 AM   #15 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I read an article not long ago explaining that apparently doorways cause people to forget things - even watching your avatar walk through a doorway on a computer can cause this. They suggested saying what you need to do aloud as you walk through the door. :)
I totally believe that doorway theory could be true. It's like the doorway breaks up the image of what you want in your mind. It's disrupting or something and causes me to look around like this... . I am so secure with my goofyness that chant what you want is very much likely to start happening in my house. My husband knows he married someone goofy.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #16 
Bethydan

Quote:
Though, you having a real dysfunction of the autonomic nerve system is intriguing; how did it happen? I did one intro psychology course and I found the chapters on brain dysfunctions and behaviour one of the most interesting! (I'm doiing a drugs and behavior course this spring semester too)

The doctors can't say why. They suspect that I was already mildly in the stages of developing it, and a very intense emotional experience a couple of years back pushed it into severe territory. It's called dysautonomia. My ANS kicks in and my "flight-or-fight response" responds to literally nothing. My body is actually panicking like it's in danger or something. It's not really very widely known and doctors are just starting to realize that their patients aren't ALL imagining their weird symptoms. Many just have screwy nervous systems. I don't retain salt or fluids as a result, so it messes with my blood pressure and heart rate. My brain literally isn't getting enough to blood at times. Hence the priceless moments.

As for the $200 mishap, I have a habit of throwing my credit card into the bag when I'm at drive-thrus. I don't totally understand why I started to do it or why I continue to do it. I have to babysit myself and make sure I don't do it. Cause once, I threw away my card with the leftovers of my lunch. My mother walked in to find me waist deep in the trash can. And to help myself remember a task, I click my tongue to the beat of random songs. I don't know why it helps, but I can at least walk down a flight of stairs without forgetting why I went downstairs.

As a side note, I've developed misophonia along with the ANS issues. I literally can't tolerate disgusting people-noises. Gum-chewing is a HUGE problem for me. I will go into rages about it. Am I the only person who wants to punch people who are chomping on their gum like a cow?

But I like to embrace my mental flaws. I feel like I'm stark raving mad and I'm totally cool with that. In the spirit of Jake the Dog... I'm whack with poo-brain.
Bethydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:35 AM   #17 
Sakura8

Bethy, you'd hate dinner at my house. My poor dad chews so loud! We usually have to have the TV on to drown him out or the rest of us lose our appetite.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:07 AM   #18 
Bombalurina

Wow, Bethy, you poor thing. That doesn't sound like fun. Good on you for your brilliant attitude, though. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:13 AM   #19 
Shirleythebetta

I can't stand it either. It makes me cringe and I have went off on people too. It's about manners. If I wanted to see or hear what you are eating I would ask. I have actually left the room away from my own brother because he does it. And to make it worse my ten year old neice is not being taught manners. It's so gross. My mother-in-law too does it too. On the other hand she is rude and mannerless anyhow.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #20 
TakoLuLu

I have fibromyalgia and short term memory issues are a very common symptom as well as a side effect of many of the medications used to manage the illness day-to-day. Add in my ADD and I can have some pretty forgetful moments. Its bad enough that I have to write things down on a little notebook to remember them at work. Someone will ask me a question & I'll forget what it is they've asked halfway to going to find the answer, or I'll have to put someone on the phone on hold to deal with customers in the store & forget I've put them on hold!

Also, for the record, fish do not eat cat food & cats do not eat fish food. Nor does my makeup belong in the kitchen knife drawer. (That just covers this morning)
TakoLuLu is offline   Reply With Quote