Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2012, 10:45 PM   #1 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

Marineland penguin 350 too strong?

My betta started hanging underneath the filter, where the filter hangs on the tank and i don't know if the current the filter creates is too strong.
And I was wondering since I upgraded from a 20 gallon to a 40+ gallon tank and i move all the gravel, the water, the decorations and i put the filter media and the bio pad from my old filters inside a marineland penguin 350, how long should i leave them there so the bio wheels from the marineland filter absorb the BB?

Last edited by ILLBETHEJUDGE; 04-17-2012 at 10:48 PM.
ILLBETHEJUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #2 
Neil D

I also have a 350 in my 40g soon-to-have goldfish tank. It is strong. For a Betta you will have to baffle it. Google/search-on-the-forum "water bottle baffle".

I also plan on putting old filter media/gravel in my new tank to seed it. I would leave it in there for a while, a month or so, but that's my opinion. A liquid test kit would help you along in determining when would be a good time to remove it. Personally, I have an extra "piece" of filter media in my current 10g that is like dark with bacteria. So in addition to that, I'm going to put a handful or two of gravel, two fairly large slate pieces and 1/2 a broken terra cotta pot from my 10g into the new tank to help with bacteria. Good luck!
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:39 PM   #3 
thekoimaiden

I have the Penguin 200 on a 55 gal tank and that is too strong. I would certainly baffle the flow. I use an aquarium sponge to baffle the penguin filters as I find this works better than the bottle baffle. I cut a small swatch of sponge and set it between the outflow and the aquarium lid. It does wonders to slow down the flow and it also offers another place for the BB to grow.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote