Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2012, 12:42 AM   #1 
xShainax

How many dead betta's is too many?

I was talking to my friend about my dead betta's and she called me a fish killer since I killed 8 in the span of a year
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:05 AM   #2 
kfryman

I think if you are new and it is petstore fish it isn't very easy to keep them alive, well let's face it, conditions in the store suck, after a while their immune system goes down so you need to be careful. I have "killed" 5, in less than a year. Out of all those at least 3 were from the first hours/days which is when most fish will die, after that it is smooth sailing, sometimes lol. One got a malfunctioned heater and the other had dropsy in which I literally had to put him to sleep.

Just remember you start somewhere. Also those bettas died knowing someone loved them, so I think it is better to accidentally kill 8 bettas and house them properly than let's say leave them in the cup. Honestly most people won't buy them and give them proper homes, they usually just fight them :(

Also identify what you are doing wrong each time. You can't succeed without failing after all.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:08 AM   #3 
Sakura8

:( I'm sorry you've had such bad luck with your bettas. There are a lot of factors that can cause betta deaths. Some of them have to do with the conditions they're kept in at the pet store but others are things that we, the owners, can fix and prevent. To help ensure success with your bettas make sure you do the following:

1) Heat the tank. Bettas need temps around 78-80 F to thrive.
2) Change the water often. The smaller the tank, the more often it needs to be changed.
3) Feed good quality food and don't overfeed.

If you make sure to do these things, especially the water changes, your chances of success with bettas will go waaay up. Good luck!

EDIT: Kfry is right; fishkeeping is a learning process and losses are inevitable. Everyone, from the beginner, to the most seasoned aquarist has lost fish.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:09 AM   #4 
Luimeril

:I your friend would hate me. i lost about.... 5 in a few months. not my fault, though. i had an outbreak of...... something. some users on here lost whole spawns of hundreds of babies. some lost entire sororities. doesn't make you a fish killer unless you totally neglected them. sometimes these things happen.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:10 AM   #5 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
:( I'm sorry you've had such bad luck with your bettas. There are a lot of factors that can cause betta deaths. Some of them have to do with the conditions they're kept in at the pet store but others are things that we, the owners, can fix and prevent. To help ensure success with your bettas make sure you do the following:

1) Heat the tank. Bettas need temps around 78-80 F to thrive.
2) Change the water often. The smaller the tank, the more often it needs to be changed.
3) Feed good quality food and don't overfeed.

If you make sure to do these things, especially the water changes, your chances of success with bettas will go waaay up. Good luck!

EDIT: Kfry is right; fishkeeping is a learning process and losses are inevitable. Everyone, from the beginner, to the most seasoned aquarist has lost fish.
I have Romeo in a 2.5 gallon, feed him, well try to feed him twice a day and change his water every week
Old 04-18-2012, 01:18 AM   #6 
Sakura8

xShainax - It's possible your fish are succumbing to complications of being in a pet store. Sadly, it does happen. As kfry said, their immune systems are pretty compromised by the time we get them home and some of them never recover. Also, it's possible your other bettas died of old age. I know it might seem weird that a betta you've had less than a year can die of old age but some pet store bettas are a year old at least by the time they hit the shelves.

There are a lot of reasons why a betta dies and many times, it's not the owner's fault. Keep trying. We're rooting for you. :)
Old 04-18-2012, 01:22 AM   #7 
Luimeril

what Sakura said. i've had two deaths due to pet store issues. one was a week after i got him, i had to put him down. he was lethargic, had slimy stuff coming off him, dropsy......

the second was sudden. an adorable female. was in love with this girl. suddenly, she was dead. no reason, just dead. oddly, it was days after i lost my last of my guppy trio, who dropped dead one after the other for no reason. bad shipment, i guess...
Old 04-18-2012, 01:25 AM   #8 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
xShainax - It's possible your fish are succumbing to complications of being in a pet store. Sadly, it does happen. As kfry said, their immune systems are pretty compromised by the time we get them home and some of them never recover. Also, it's possible your other bettas died of old age. I know it might seem weird that a betta you've had less than a year can die of old age but some pet store bettas are a year old at least by the time they hit the shelves.

There are a lot of reasons why a betta dies and many times, it's not the owner's fault. Keep trying. We're rooting for you. :)
I had a beautiful CT betta who lived with fin rot for a year and he finally succumbed to it. T^T
Old 04-18-2012, 01:26 AM   #9 
Sakura8

Luimeril, yikes, that does sound like a bad shipment. I know you take really good care of your fish so if your girl died so suddenly, it had to have been pet store complications.

xShainax, don't give up!
Old 04-18-2012, 01:29 AM   #10 
Luimeril

thanks, Sakura. literally, she was fine that afternoon when i fed her, chillin' on her flower, dead that night when i went to bed. :I i was so upset! kinda scared me away from females from there, even though my Lulu is going on 3, i think. my first female. she's survived so much. .3.