Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2012, 01:29 AM   #11 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Luimeril, yikes, that does sound like a bad shipment. I know you take really good care of your fish so if your girl died so suddenly, it had to have been pet store complications.

xShainax, don't give up!
Romeo is my latest project.
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:47 AM   #12 
LittleBettaFish

I'm like a fish chainsaw massacre over here then. Most of my deaths were due to jumping out (this is for wild bettas and my killifish) but a few have been from disease and some from me being stupid and not monitoring my parameters every so often.

We cannot buy a lot of common fish medications unless we have a vet prescription here. The only real internal parasite med that is easy to get is a poultry and pig wormer. It makes treating serious outbreaks of disease difficult so I usually end up having to euthanise most of sick fish.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:49 AM   #13 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I'm like a fish chainsaw massacre over here then. Most of my deaths were due to jumping out (this is for wild bettas and my killifish) but a few have been from disease and some from me being stupid and not monitoring my parameters every so often.

We cannot buy a lot of common fish medications unless we have a vet prescription here. The only real internal parasite med that is easy to get is a poultry and pig wormer. It makes treating serious outbreaks of disease difficult so I usually end up having to euthanise most of sick fish.
Mine died from the lack of knowledge
Old 04-18-2012, 01:59 AM   #14 
Sakura8

xShainax, it's part of the learning process. And so many people who start out in the hobby are given very bad information from pet store people. That you found this forum and you are seeking help means you are doing a good job trying to take care of your fish.

LittleBettaFish, in the states where it's easy to obtain fish meds, a lot fish die from medicine overdoses. If they don't die directly from it, they often contract diseases that have developed resistances to the medications.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:02 AM   #15 
xShainax

Quote:
xShainax, it's part of the learning process. And so many people who start out in the hobby are given very bad information from pet store people. That you found this forum and you are seeking help means you are doing a good job trying to take care of your fish.

LittleBettaFish, in the states where it's easy to obtain fish meds, a lot fish die from medicine overdoses. If they don't die directly from it, they often contract diseases that have developed resistances to the medications.
I love your kitty on the aquarium. :) My cats are too fat to jump on the tops
Old 04-18-2012, 02:04 AM   #16 
Sakura8

Haha, thanks. The window perch was taken so he thought he'd make his own. I'm sure the poor fish inside looked up and thought the sky was falling. "Heeeeelp!" That's actually our skinniest cat, but he's just so furry that he spreads out. I have had one of my fatter cats break one of the tops walking across it.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:07 AM   #17 
xShainax

Quote:
Haha, thanks. The window perch was taken so he thought he'd make his own. I'm sure the poor fish inside looked up and thought the sky was falling. "Heeeeelp!" That's actually our skinniest cat, but he's just so furry that he spreads out. I have had one of my fatter cats break one of the tops walking across it.
My first HM betta used to challenge the cats wen they would stare at him. Our largest cat is a hefty 16 lbs and his sister is a dainty 10 lbs
Old 04-18-2012, 02:09 AM   #18 
Bombalurina

A lot of the time, bettas are sick from the shop. My first boy, Felix, died within 24 hours, and I did everything right.
I don't know how old Aphrodite was (about 3, I think, but she died after about 6 months). I had Athena for about a year and Apollo for much less. I've had my sorority 6 months and have lost two girls (one to unknown causes, possibly violence, one to the mysterious disease that claimed everybody else).

You'll find the most frustrating thing is when you do everything right and give your fish amazing lives and they only live a short life, whilst you'll have friends keeping them in unheated, dirty, tiny bowls that live for ages. Of course, it doesn't mean they are doing it right - they just got lucky.

Keep learning, keep trying. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:12 AM   #19 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
A lot of the time, bettas are sick from the shop. My first boy, Felix, died within 24 hours, and I did everything right.
I don't know how old Aphrodite was (about 3, I think, but she died after about 6 months). I had Athena for about a year and Apollo for much less. I've had my sorority 6 months and have lost two girls (one to unknown causes, possibly violence, one to the mysterious disease that claimed everybody else).

You'll find the most frustrating thing is when you do everything right and give your fish amazing lives and they only live a short life, whilst you'll have friends keeping them in unheated, dirty, tiny bowls that live for ages. Of course, it doesn't mean they are doing it right - they just got lucky.

Keep learning, keep trying. :)
The fish I was most upset about losing is a tie between my clown pleco and my purple and white elephant eared HM male
Old 04-18-2012, 03:54 AM   #20 
Sheldon31

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShainax View Post
My first HM betta used to challenge the cats wen they would stare at him. Our largest cat is a hefty 16 lbs and his sister is a dainty 10 lbs
Hehe Kyon challenges my cats all the time. Poor Benny boy has had Kyon attack him through the glass when he's been minding his own business. My cats are too lazy to bother trying to catch fish when then know I'm gonna come along and feed them anyway.

I think fish loss is inevitable yet unfortunate. No matter how much research you do someone is going to get hurt somewhere along the line. I lost one tetra to having no tail, probably a birth defect. And one tetra to a bout of white spot which I was totally ill prepared for and didn't detect until they already had it for a few days! On the 2nd bout of white spot (I get one every time I go to pets at home for fish and will no longer be going there ) I was much quicker and had no casualties at all. I feel awful because my inlaws betta has terrible fin rot but they won't do anything about it fish is just a fish to them. And he's a gorgeous boy too.
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote