Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #21 
DoberMom

I am among those who has lost an entire sorority. I now have another one set up and everyone is doing well. It's been a frustrating 6 months.
DoberMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:41 PM   #22 
Enkil

Sorry for your losses.

I started buying bettas as pets to help my daughter as she was having a hard time grounding herself and fish calmed her. We went through 5 bettas in a very short time. It was hard replacing them as she had chosen one with very specific coloring. Still not sure why they died, save the last 2. The last two froze on moves when I had mistakenly put faith in others to remember to bring them in from the vehicles. Never made that mistake again.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:54 PM   #23 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkil View Post
Sorry for your losses.

I started buying bettas as pets to help my daughter as she was having a hard time grounding herself and fish calmed her. We went through 5 bettas in a very short time. It was hard replacing them as she had chosen one with very specific coloring. Still not sure why they died, save the last 2. The last two froze on moves when I had mistakenly put faith in others to remember to bring them in from the vehicles. Never made that mistake again.
I have autism and fish help when I get upset
xShainax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:18 AM   #24 
Sheldon31

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShainax View Post
I have autism and fish help when I get upset
I've read a lot of research into the relationship between pets and autistic children during my health courses and everything was really positive. It also applies to those with depression or illnesses where depression is a symptom. I find my fish really calming when feeling low or anxious.
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #25 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I'm so glad to have found this thread. It doesn't make me feel any better about losing so many fish recently. But, compared to some of the horror stories (multiple losses) here and on other threads, "There, but for the grace of god..."

I'm seriously questioning my qualifications and abilitiy to even keep fish. Though I do have four healthy males currently swimming and eating in my 'fish room,' aka my kitchen.

Unlike Sheldon and, from what I hear most other keepers, I have not found fishkeeping to be a particularly relaxing or stress-relieving hobby. I frequently sigh with relief in the morning when I find my fish alive and well. That's not the kind of stress-relief I need. :-}

Now I have "empty tank syndrome." Knowing full well I should not get another fish, I nevertheless am window-shopping. And nobody on this forum will encourage me NOT to get another fish. Thank goodness it's forty miles to my nearest PetcoMart.

Thanks for listening. <sigh>
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #26 
Sheldon31

Oh Hally so sorry you feel this way :( Maybe it's just a passing phase of disinterest due to being disheartened by losses? Big hugs! x
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #27 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
I'm so glad to have found this thread. It doesn't make me feel any better about losing so many fish recently. But, compared to some of the horror stories (multiple losses) here and on other threads, "There, but for the grace of god..."

I'm seriously questioning my qualifications and abilitiy to even keep fish. Though I do have four healthy males currently swimming and eating in my 'fish room,' aka my kitchen.

Unlike Sheldon and, from what I hear most other keepers, I have not found fishkeeping to be a particularly relaxing or stress-relieving hobby. I frequently sigh with relief in the morning when I find my fish alive and well. That's not the kind of stress-relief I need. :-}

Now I have "empty tank syndrome." Knowing full well I should not get another fish, I nevertheless am window-shopping. And nobody on this forum will encourage me NOT to get another fish. Thank goodness it's forty miles to my nearest PetcoMart.

Thanks for listening. <sigh>
I know how you feel, a few months ago I had huge ammonia spike in my 29 gal, everything died and now there is nothing in there except a few plants
Old 04-19-2012, 11:46 AM   #28 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon31 View Post
I've read a lot of research into the relationship between pets and autistic children during my health courses and everything was really positive. It also applies to those with depression or illnesses where depression is a symptom. I find my fish really calming when feeling low or anxious.
I have Aspergers which is high functioning but I get stressed very easily and my dog can sense it, so could Spitfire who swam up and flared at me.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:12 PM   #29 
Luimeril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon31 View Post
i actually have a friend on Tumblr who got a betta to help with her depression. she messages me all the time when she has questions, and freaked out a little when he made his first bubble nest in his new tank. lol she said he's helped her alot, and loves watching him swim about, flare at his reflection, ect.

in fact, i love telling the story about how one of my females helped me out when a friend of mine was missing after the earthquake and tsunami in Japan. if it wasn't for her, i would have moped about in a depressed slump, neglecting myself and my fish. i cried so much when she got sick, did everything i could to help her. i swear, she waited until Heavy and Spy came in the mail before she passed, and that was also the day i got Scout for some reason. pitiful little minnow with long fins, soon turned into a spunky, beautiful boy.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #30 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
i actually have a friend on Tumblr who got a betta to help with her depression. she messages me all the time when she has questions, and freaked out a little when he made his first bubble nest in his new tank. lol she said he's helped her alot, and loves watching him swim about, flare at his reflection, ect.

in fact, i love telling the story about how one of my females helped me out when a friend of mine was missing after the earthquake and tsunami in Japan. if it wasn't for her, i would have moped about in a depressed slump, neglecting myself and my fish. i cried so much when she got sick, did everything i could to help her. i swear, she waited until Heavy and Spy came in the mail before she passed, and that was also the day i got Scout for some reason. pitiful little minnow with long fins, soon turned into a spunky, beautiful boy.
R.I.P baby girl. :( Moonbeam did that, when my DG nearly killed him, he hung on until I got Spitfire and he finally passed seeing that my heart was starting to heal. They are more intelligent than people give them credit for. Romeo a few minutes ago headbutted a small stone away to get at a pea.