Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #21 
Laki

Getting sooky and down because other people don't support your ideas is a sure way to continue the suffering. It's like pulling a Peta hissy-fit. A rescue is a good idea, even though yyou cannot take them all- talk to store managers.

There will just always be people who buy from the pet store. Low-income, ignorant, those who do not care. Parents who don't know where else to buy fish. . . Pet stores have been in business for a long time. No, wearing a shirt will not stop someone from buying a fish, leaflets are also not as effective as a few years ago. Stores in malls will not allow protesting but talking to people going into the store might help.

Postering outside and online reaches people. Kijiji or Craigslist.

Sorry if this seems blunt. I believe fish in stores will NEVER stop. WalMart only stopped selling them here due to cut backs in their annual budgets and they focus more on supplies than live fish. But pet stores will always order fish. They will. even small pet stores who sell a limited number of species always have tonnes of fish. Fish are cheap to stock and sell. Giving bad info makes the customer come back, talk to the staff about why their fishie-wishie died and sell them stuff to "improve" their next fishes life.

I'm bitter bc my team was defeated by the stupid Pittsburgh Penguins and I'm mad....
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #22 
LinkLover

Thanks for the "blunt" opinion, but I thought that was quite rude. I am not throwing a hissy fit. I got disappointed. And just because I said in that moment (which I later corrected the next morning if you saw) that I was upset, it was just that. A moment. I knew no matter what people said, I was going to do it anyways. I might modify my tactics thanks to some of the points made here, but I was going to do it. In fact, I rescued another betta this afternoon, and got him for free. And I agree that one thing that will never change is pets being purchased, and people needing a cheap place to do that. I am with you 100% on that. I hope someday they might be treated better, but I know the suffering will probably never completely go away. And I know wearing t-shirts and protesting doesn't solve the entire problem right that second, but honestly it's better than doing absolutely nothing about it. If we care, we have to at least try, otherwise we might as well not care. And not to sound whiny again, but please be aware that some people have emotional issues (such as myself) and take comments like that very personally, and are hurt by them. I don't want to start an argument, I just want to let you know.
LinkLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #23 
Laki

I'm sincerely sorry if my comment offended you. It was not my intention, I was tired and down myself. After reading the comments I got a bit irritated as I thought of Peta and some of the tactics they use to spurn people's opinions. It was not my intention at all to come like I did. I realize there are people more sensitive than others and I guess on a public forum it is incredibly difficult to keep one voice or attitude. We're dealing with each other from all points on the globe when we're on the internet, obviously world views and backgrounds and emotional boundaries will be crossed.

Again I apologize.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #24 
LinkLover

Thank you for the apology. I didn't want to make you feel terrible either, I just usually don't stand up for myself and decided I needed to. But I do understand that it's hard to tell a persons' tone or intention when reading words online. You can't tell if it's sarcastic, sincere, etc. I also get that sometimes people have bad days, and say things because of how they feel at the moment, which I do quite often. But I do want to let you know that the message in your previous post makes sense, and is something that has to be considered, especially the effectiveness of certain methods of getting a point across. And again, thanks for understanding how I feel. :)
Old 04-21-2012, 06:29 PM   #25 
LionCalie

There was a Petland that opened in Northern California a few years back. They are notorious for getting their puppies from breeding mills. Me and two other people protested outside at their grand opening. After that the protest grew and grew. Next thing I know the media is involved and they are shut down for selling sick puppies.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
-- Margaret Mead

Trust me, it makes a difference. Kudos on your free rescue!
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #26 
LinkLover

That's amazing! It's great to have an example of how a few people that care can really make a difference.

Unfortunately, he died a few hours after getting him home. :( I would post a picture but I couldn't get a good one. He was COVERED in fungus, and could barely make it to the top to breathe even though there was only a few inches of water. I was hoping he would make it, but he was pretty bad off. I want to go scream at those pet store people who let him get that bad. :/
Old 04-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #27 
BettaGirl290

BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #28 
kfryman

Well that sucks :(
Good that you got him free! That was the only reason why I said something, is the first guy was more of what I call a save. I think it is awesome what you are doing, though I agree with Laki. It probably won't stop but there is always hope, right?

Sorry if I came off blunt, it is hard to sense tone. So sorry if I offended you.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #29 
Tikibirds

Walmart gets credit for dead fish, so it really wont make a different weather you stop buying from them or not.

Quote:
How about instead of buying post ads on craigslist that you will take in unwanted betta? ;)
There was a member here who did that. I think it was GreenTea.
They put up flyers saying they would take in unwanted bettas by dropping them off in her/his? mailbox.

On a side note:
Quote:
There will just always be people who buy from the pet store. Low-income, ignorant, those who do not care.
I'm a graduate student and ALL my bettas come from walmart or Petco and almost ALL were sympathy purchases. I have though of asking for the fish for free but in the end I pay for them (most are VT/ct) - i know of a few cases where once someone points out the betta is sick, an employee takes it away and not only refuses to give it away for free but then refuses to even sell it because they "do not sell sick fish".

Last edited by Tikibirds; 04-21-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #30 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Gonna be honest, people care more for puppies than fish.. It's sad but true.
Yea, I think it was her.. she came home to like 3 in her mailbox one day and didn't know what to do with them.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote