Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #41 
Laki

I know I would too! Sometimes I wish betta's WERE decorations who were totally fine in a tiny wall mounted clock thing. Because that would mean more room to keep them all!! but that's such an unacceptable idea it's not even funny!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #42 
LinkLover

Exactly! I use to think they were "cute" little bowls, but now I want to cry every time I see them. There is a person selling a betta in one of the hanging bowls with the stand, that looking kind of like a lamp. I wanted to go get it from them but the drive is too far for anyone to be willing to take me. It's so terrible. Oh, and I got ANOTHER rescue today! This one will be going to my dad once he is better. But I have a dilema that I would like your (or anyone elses') opinion on. He is a VERY experienced fish keeper, for thirty years or something I think, but never a betta. He tells me all this information (WRONG information by the way) about how they need to be kept. But no matter what I say, he says he "has the experience" so automatically he's right. HOW do I tell him he's wrong without sounding like I'm telling him what to do? I know he's my dad so I should know him well enough, but everything I say seems to be going in one ear and out the other. Should I offer to buy some supplies (if I can get the money)?
LinkLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #43 
Kim

Sorry I can't give you any advice on how to talk to your dad, but I just wanted to commend you for what you are doing. I know it can seem at times that nobody cares about fish or animals in general, and I too often get discouraged concerning the state of the world, however seeing posts like this remind me that there are at least some people who feel the same way that I do. I just wanted to let you know that :)

I too wanted to do a rescue some time ago, but life just got too busy too fast...maybe someday ;)
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:19 PM   #44 
LinkLover

Thanks Kim! It's nice for me to know there are others out there too! And yes, it's something that bothers me every day, for the past five years of my life (that's when I first went vegetarian and started learning about animal cruelty). I wish that more people realized that animals have feelings, and families, and a lot of the same things we have. It's probably what I am most passionate about in life. Well I definitely recommend trying a rescue when you are ready! I have only done three: one successful, one death the night I got him :(, and one I got today that I am really hoping will make it. From my minimal experience, it's really rewarding, but hard when things don't go the way you hoped. But every fish counts!
Old 04-22-2012, 10:37 PM   #45 
Laki

Congrats on the new rescue :)

I don't know how to talk to your dad, since men are all alike and obviously he's right
-_-

However, perhaps try to sway his judgement by having him see your fish as opposed to cold lifeless clamped bettas in a store. Or have him look at a few youtube videos of how some people treat their bettas.

You might suggest offering to buy him a larger tank and heater, hopefully his ego will step in and buy it himself though!! lol

Maybe tell him you'll keep the betta until he agrees to some better learning material. Try to have him understand that life is all about continued learning, old info goes with the water as new stuff is learned (like a river).
Old 04-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #46 
LinkLover

Thanks Laki. I'll see if I can get through to him... Hahaha. I think examples like you suggested would be great. Although I do understand, because I have been keeping bettas for only three weeks, compared to his thirty year(ish) fish experience. So I can see where my advice might not seem so credible. But I definitely don't want to make my fear of challenging my dad to cause the fishy to have a bad life. I think I'm going to send him a document I made where I compiled a bunch of information that summed up the most widely agreed upon care requirements, and see what he thinks.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #47 
Laki

It's all in his head, obviously. My mom was the same way. Then she came to my house and saw how happy my fish were with heaters and such. When I pitched the idea of getting her a betta for her birthday I made sure to tell her she'll need an extra plug for the heater and said I'm not getting the fish without the heater. She agreed and her fish blows more bubble nests than mine!lol

Men are worse and more thick-headed I'm afraid. Yes, see how he does with your advice-sheet. He'll probably want it to he "his" idea before he agrees to anything! lol men....
Old 04-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #48 
LinkLover

Well that gives me some hope! And yea, next to the word stubborn in the dictionary is a picture of my dad. Ugh. Haha. Fortunately he does REALLY love animals a lot, so I'm sure if I can get him to see they need all these things, he would be more than happy to do it. But as you said, he likes it to be his idea, so when he comes to the right conclusion I'll tell him how smart he is. Haha.