Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #1 
MaxGreenMDE

fish feeder failed

So I got a 14 day fish feeder to put into the tank while I'm gone on vacation. I put it in the tank 3 days ago because I counted the days and I will be returning on the 29th.

That block is already completely gone after just 3 days so now I actually don't know how my fish will be fed while I am gone and I really don't understand how it can already be gone when the package labels it 14 days.
MaxGreenMDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #2 
Sivan

Return it and get your money back. Generally, people agree those things don't work well. Is there anyone you can get to watch your betta for a bit?
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #3 
MaxGreenMDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivan View Post
Return it and get your money back. Generally, people agree those things don't work well. Is there anyone you can get to watch your betta for a bit?
Unfortunately no. I think he'll be fine going hungry for a week (though I don't ever want to have to do this again) and I'm going to unplug the light to lower any malfunction risks.
MaxGreenMDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #4 
FishyFishy89

fish feeder as in those white block thingys?
NEVER use those. I've heard they can either over feed or under feed your fish AND create unbalance in your water parameters.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #5 
Fieldz

Those fish feeders are completely useless. Fish only eat them when they are really hungry. They have low nutrients and it dissolves really fast in the water, making your aquarium totally white.

How long are you gunna leave him alone? If its only 7 days you can give him 6 pellets and 2-3 bloodworms or any good freeze-dried or live food you have and just leave him there until you come back. Seven days wont be a problem for him if he is healthy. Do you have any trustable neighbor or maybe your house cleaner if you have one? You can pay them or give them something so they come and feed your fish properly.
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #6 
BeckyFish97

I wouldn't use those things (for bettas) I left my bettas for 3 days with them and came back to find one dead betta and one clinging to life betta (was not happy) checked ammonia nitrite nitrate ph levels, all were through the roof (said on the packet-less ammonia than daily feeding-or something along those lines) we went back to the shop they gave us our money back and a new betta!!!
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't know why they even make those things since they cause so much problems.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #8 
Rosso1011

He will be fine for another week. Just be prepared to change the water when you get back.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote