Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #1 
Psylk87

Betta Feeding

Yesterday I got my Betta Stormy. I read it is bbetter not to feed them the first day because tehy may have already eaten.

Today when I fed him I had the filter on. He didnt notice the food so the filter ended up pushing it to the bottom of the tank. I decided I would turn off the filter and then feed him. This seemed to work better he ate maybe three or for small pellets.

This is a good sign right?

I have two questions tho as this is my first Betta. Is it okay to turn off the filter like that? Will it do any harm to Stormy, the shrimp, or the snail? What about the filter itself? It seemed very effective but if it will do any of them harm by turning it off I dont want to do it. What other recomendations do you guys have for feeding?

Also. Is 3-4 pellets of food enough? How often should I be feeding him and how much?

Thank you for any advice or opinions!
Psylk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #2 
Laki

I don't think you should be turning the filter on and off, as it will disrupt any bacteria that might be flourishing which will cause spikes in your tank which can potentially harm your fish! (if any of this is wrong, please correct me, I don't use filter and am just going on what I read)

What size tank is he in? When I got Ludey he would only eat floating pellets, because that's all they gave him at the store so I had to train him with a "lure" which is an old paintbrush to come up at feeding. Maybe you could get an old stick (this is to feed things like frozen bloodworms with) and lure him to where he will be fed? A great way to do this is to fast him for a day or two (don't worry, he'll be totally fine) and then soak his pellets in garlic water. Tap the surface of the water until he comes close enough to see what you're doing and then feed him.

Letting food fall to the bottom is not good because it can harbour bad bacteria= ammonia.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:32 PM   #3 
Psylk87

Right I knew letting the food go to the bottom was bad. Which is why I turned off the filter to start. I am hopingthe shrimp in the tank with him will eat that little bit up tho.

I will try luring him to the top. I deff want to make sure he gets enough to eat.

Do you have any reccomendations on how often he should eat? And is eating three or four pllets enough?
As I said this si my first Betta I used to keep cichlids. So this is all a bit of a learning process for me. But I want to make sure he stays happy.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #4 
Laki

What kind of pellets do you feed? I find variety is key, I have frozen bloodworms, OmegaOne pellets, Attison's Pro pellets, Aqueon pellets, and tetra crumbles.. SO my boys are always excited for food. And they all have different textures!! I find with the regular size pellets like Omega One 3-4 is fine once a day. Bettas will eat until they explode but their tummies are only approximately the size of their eye so it fills up easily!!
Old 04-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #5 
Psylk87

I bought some freeze dried bloodworms (havent fed them to him yet) and a pellet called New Life Spectrum Betta Formula.

This is what it looks like.:

and a link to it.
http://www.amazon.com/New-Life-Spect.../dp/B0038JTL1Y
Old 04-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #6 
Laki

A couple of those a day will be plenty. When you feed the freeze dried worms, soak them for a minute beforehand. They're full of air and can cause swim bladder or bloat problems. I never had a problem with them but just soak them for a minute!

He'll love them!!
Old 04-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #7 
gbose

.. switching off your filter for a few minutes -- or a couple of hours -- will do no harm.
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:58 PM   #8 
Bombalurina

+1. I always used to turn my filter off at mealtimes because it blew the food around. :)

NLS is a pretty amazing brand. :) I feed my guys the cichlid pellets (I haven't managed to get hold of the betta ones yet) because they are a higher quality than any of the locally available betta brands. :)

Laki, are you sure your boys are excited because of the variety and not just because they are greedy little fish-pigs? :p
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:28 AM   #9 
NoahG

I agree that turning the filter off for mealtimes won't do any harm -- and either your shrimp or snails will take care of any food that may end up on the bottom. Though, my Bettas tend to take care of that themselves as well. Fish-pigs is a good description...

I feed NLS Betta formula and now, with all but Beb, I can feed them three pellets twice a day without any issues at all. Beb is apparently a bit prone to bloat/swim bladder issues, so I'm still tweaking things with her. The pellets really aren't that large, especially compared to some other Betta foods.
NoahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #10 
Hopeseeker

I also feed my boys New Life Spectrum 3 pellets a meal, two meals a day with 1 fasting day.
Hopeseeker is offline   Reply With Quote