Betta Fish Forum banner

Breeding elephant ears?

13K views 55 replies 10 participants last post by  Roemgie 
#1 ·
Has anyone here ever done it? I have a HM salamander elephant ear that I would love to breed but I was concerned about his capability as a father. I never breed in over 6 inches of water (usually 4-5 inches) but I have noticed that after maybe 20 min of swimming he rests on the bottom. Would he have trouble caring for the babies or will his maternal instincts kick in? What do you guys think oh and would anybody want fry ( I am planning on getting another salamander or white hm female or maybe one of MrVampire's white HMPK).

#2 ·
Elephant ear
Was crazy about those a few months back
All I'm going to tell you is that theyre more of a problem then there worth
My result
Eexnone ee no ee offspring(cull down to 20 fry in the first month)
Eexee produce massive ear
I just give up on them
Didn't went beyond f1

#5 ·
To anyone: (but also speaking to curlyfatbottom)

Technically speaking wouldn't breeding a generation1 fish back to your parent big ear show the results?

I know you didn't go on, but isn't that how it works to bring out traits? (I am learning and am VERY interested as on this particular subject.)

On big ear x big ear: Do you know (roughly) the % of spawn that has the trait in gen 1? And roughly what % reflects the parents vs massive ear? Or is the entire spawn massive ear?

#4 ·
His ears keep growin bigger... I might take your advice sense mine is a HM there tail makes their lives hard enough.

#7 ·
I didn't took the next step
But roughly speaking your right
F1 to the parent will bring out the trait
My eexee
Since i started with massive fin pair
They produce even bigger fin
Plus a very high deform rate
Uneven fin one side is bigger then the other
Didn't recode the data
But it higher then 50%

#8 ·
Advise taken. Wish you would have kept a log with pictures! :D

I have not seen a big ear that had HUGE pectorals. Going to look up the fish you referred to in a minute.

I guess to control the size of their pectorals would be to cross back to non ee fish? Wonder how doing this would effect the generations in the long run. If the ee would get smaller pectorals?

Deform rate at 50% from an ee x ee cross is pretty bad odds.

If anyone has links on data or spawn logs, I would love to read them. (sorry to blabber in your thread Crete. If you decide to breed your big ear boy I will be watching your spawn log like a hawk :D)

#10 ·
His ears are defiantly not the size of some of aquastar71, but like I said they are still growing. I am thinking about crossing him to a HM female with no history of big pectorals that way I can control the ear size more if I did.

#14 ·
Any other advice on controlling fin size? I like the way they look but just not so super big.

#20 ·
LOL! The kids will tease them in school. :D

(get it school..) <-ok VERY BAD but I couldn't help it. :p

I will sooo be watching for your spawn. Do you have a female picked out?

#17 ·
My guess is cross an Eexnone ee f1 back to a ee
And Jeff giant is really hard to maintain the size
Out crossing it will take some time
Giant seem to be recessive gene and ee
Working with two recessive gene at once will take some careful selection
You pick wrong pair and your back to squre one
Long fin will show in your f1
Yeah you can only work with the female on the ee and hm
Cause no stander size male can breed with a giant female
Have the same goal as you but it turn out harder then Ive think
Just sticking with hmpk and giant hmpk

#19 ·
From a fighting gene
Carefully selecting the biggest one to work with only
Took them many year to get it that size and produce the same size or bigger then the parents
Pk is over 3" long
Long fin are over 5" long
Or you can spend 50 plus on a lower quailty hm giant male and breed it to an eehm female
True giant are expensive
Do to the amount of food they eat and require space to house and care for them

#21 ·
I am probably going to wait to use Mr.Vampires HMPK white platinum females or a yellow salamander or both ;)

#25 ·
(Dont know if this has already posted but this came Up in another thread a while ago ) what if you bred an elephant Ear betta with a king betta.

#27 ·
Set up the breeding tank (tub) for the big ear HM. Using a 16 gallon plastic tub with 4 inches water. 100 watt heater, java moss. Both male and female are in their jars in the tank. Plan is to use it as grow out after free swimming....

The female is not big ear, so don't know how long before I get any big ear fry....:|

#28 ·
Doing a sibling breeding is the best way to bring back recessive genes like large pectorals or giants. Its my plan for getting large ears.
And breeding big ears to kings would give you probably mostly regular sized fish with regular pectorals very rarely might you get a king betta with large ears. Sense large size is also a recessive trait.

#29 ·
Sibling breeding can wash out traits. I recommend taking an offspring and breeding back to the long eared parent and again with a grand son/daughter to manifest the trait.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.