Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2012, 01:20 AM   #1 
casshyr

Water plants: yes or no?

I'm currently using plastic plants in my betta bowl (3 gallon). Is there a difference to switching to live plants (i.e. do betta live longer with live plants? less stress on the fish perhaps?)
I'm basically wondering if it is worth the trouble.
casshyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:31 AM   #2 
True Indigo

I started off with fake plants and then quickly switched to live plants. The chance of having them harm your fish or tank is heavily reduced and often makes the ecosystem in the tank more nourishing to your fish. Make sure you have the right amount of light for the plants. I use a flourescent aquarium bulb which allows high lighting for my plants to grow (though make sure to turn it on and off consistently no more than 6 to 10 hours max at one time since they go off of human-like hours for night and day rest).

Good plants to start off with that need lower levels of light are java fern and java moss which grow pretty easily. A moss ball is also very nice to have too. Make sure that if you have a brighter light like mine that your fish has some place it can hide if it finds itself uncomfortable.

But yes, overall, I think the switch from live plants from fake ones is better. Sure you'll have to replace a few of the ones that manage to die, but your fish is much healthier and in a much more natural environment but also looks better too.
True Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:47 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

Live plants are nice because they suck up ammonia - I like Anacharis because it can float in the tank, no need to plant it. Also Amazon sword is nice too. I had good luck with it in low light but it needs to be planted in substrate.
Giant moss balls are cool too. The need to be squeezed out once a week? in old tank water to get rid of debris and they needs to be rotated so the part on the gravel wont die off

Be sure the plants you get are actually aquatic. Most that come in a tube are not, and Bamboo isn't a true aquatic plant either.
There is a cool plant thread stickied on one of these forums - the one about homes and accessories, i think.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 04-23-2012 at 02:52 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #4 
casshyr

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Indigo View Post
I started off with fake plants and then quickly switched to live plants. The chance of having them harm your fish or tank is heavily reduced and often makes the ecosystem in the tank more nourishing to your fish. Make sure you have the right amount of light for the plants. I use a flourescent aquarium bulb which allows high lighting for my plants to grow (though make sure to turn it on and off consistently no more than 6 to 10 hours max at one time since they go off of human-like hours for night and day rest).

Good plants to start off with that need lower levels of light are java fern and java moss which grow pretty easily. A moss ball is also very nice to have too. Make sure that if you have a brighter light like mine that your fish has some place it can hide if it finds itself uncomfortable.

But yes, overall, I think the switch from live plants from fake ones is better. Sure you'll have to replace a few of the ones that manage to die, but your fish is much healthier and in a much more natural environment but also looks better too.
Thank you, very informative!
Also thanks to the other user who responded. Both very helpful
casshyr is offline   Reply With Quote