Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2012, 04:27 AM   #1 
Karebear13

Overstocking?

So I have a 2.5 gallon tank. My halfmoon lives in it and he recently developed a need to bit his tail :( I wanted to add in some Shrimp to maybe keep him distracted...

Anyone think this is a bad idea... let me know

If not about how many can i get for the 2.5 gallon tank. I also wanted to get a nerite snail for his tank is this too much in that tank?
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:34 AM   #2 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

2.5 gallons is too small of a tank to ad shrimps or snails but what can help you is to move the decorations around or ad a new decoration.
ILLBETHEJUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #3 
Mo

There are a few Invertebrate options. No fish though as most fish dont handle a number of factors that a 2.5 gallon might encounter of regularly does, such as aggression from the betta, ammonia reaching high, toxic levels, constant stress due to netting, along with moving out of the tank, and a space issue, most freshwater fish are far too active to be placed in that small of a tank resulting in them not showing there full potential. Actually it is highly likely that the betta will become nippy, and start tailbiing as most fish will be seen as zooming around in that tank to the betta due to how small it is.
most of the options below, I have done with success, which is why I recommended them. And I would highly recommend the nerite snails out

-Malaysian Trumpet Snails, These would be a great choice, as they have very minimal requirements, along with a very small bio load due t how small they are. you dont have to feed them, no special care. and they wont have a population boom as they do in community tanks unless you feed flakes, or your betta doesnt eat all the pellets. they also will provide as great cleaner crews in respect to decaying plant matter. Please take into consideration that these are known to over populate the tank when given enough food, ideally you would aim for a maximum of around 5

-Pond Snails, These would be a great choice, as they have very minimal requirements, along with a very small bio load due t how small they are. you dont have to feed them, no special care. and they wont have a population boom as they do in community tanks unless you feed flakes, or your betta doesnt eat all the pellets. they also will provide as great cleaner crews in respect to decaying plant matter. Please take into consideration that these are known to over populate the tank when given enough food, ideally you would aim for a maximum of around 5

-Amano Shrimp, much hardier than the other shrimp and will tolerate 100% water changes alot better, along with not perfect water quality. They are very entertaining and fun to keep, Amano's will thrive with planted tank along with added supplements like shrimp pellets. I would highly recommend these, very awesome shrimp

-Ghost Shrimp, Ghost shrimp are very hardy shrimp with minimal requirements and will thrive in most setups and water conditions. They have little specified diet needs and will eat a wide range of food ranging from decaying plant matter, to live mosquito larvae. Bit I would recommend feeding them shrimp pellets. They don't breed as profiously in freshwater types setups so you won't get overwhelmed with babies. I have encountered the rare breeding situation though. They thrive and do the best in planted, pristine water quality setup. Some bettas are known to eat them though so you might want to watch out for that

-Cherry Shrimp, Cherry shrimp would be a great choice due to there hardiness and ability to thrive in most water parameters conditions, and setups. They don't have a special required diet. Other than shrimp pellets, and algae wafers. They thrive in pristine water, heavily planted setups and are known to breed profiously in there. Some bettas are known to take advantage of them breeding and will eat the juvenile shrimp and even sometimes the adults

Last edited by Mo; 04-16-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #4 
kfryman

Shrimp can be housed fine in a 2.5 gallon. Just be sure to add mosses and caves for the shrimp to hide. Also some shrimp don't eat the same. Ghost shrimp are scavengers and rarely eat algae, they like meaty foods. Cherry and amano shrimp like algae. Just research, amano I wouldn't recommend as they poop WAY more than everything else.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #5 
Karebear13

Kfryman-- What about a combination of Shrimp and one nerite snail. I was going to order a nerite snail for my other tank online but wanted to get more than one cause its worth it to buy more.

So I would have one three gallon tank with one Nerite snail

And one 2.5 gallon tank with 3 shrimp and a nerite ? is that too much

Also are the Nerite snails big enough that the betta can't eat it because I heard of bettas choking on pond snails, and I wouldn't want that to happen
Old 04-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #6 
kfryman

I wouldn't do a combo, that is a high bioload as a snail poops a whole lot. If you can I would only get shrimp in a tank that the cycle is stable as it can be stressful for them because of ammonia spikes.

Merited some be a problem unless they are babies.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:17 AM   #7 
Karebear13

The tank isn't cycled I just do 50% and 100% water change to it every week... Will it still be okay to get a shrimp?

And also do you think its a good idea to put the shrimp in a tank with a tail biter?
Old 04-18-2012, 12:27 AM   #8 
kfryman

Grrr I just typed a good amount and I accidently went to a different page...

Shrimp, won't live through all the ammonia spikes, they aren't hardy and are vulnerable to aggressive or territorial fish like bettas.

Snails will live through ammonia spikes and they can stand the 100% often. Snails are super tough so i would say no to shrimp and yes to snails
Old 04-18-2012, 02:00 AM   #9 
Karebear13

The seller says that the nerite snails are the size of a pea... Im kind of scared my betta will try and eat them and then choke
Old 04-18-2012, 02:13 AM   #10 
kfryman

That is small! I thought they were bigger, I guess probably a baby then. Maybe try and find another seller or message him asking if you can buy an adult for a tad more?