Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2012, 07:44 AM   #1 
arin

male betta fins stuck

I got my first betta fish about a week and half ago. He is in 1.5 gallon tank with a filter. i have been doing a partial water change every second day and i did 100% water change last night. i noticed that his fins are stuck together at the tips. he tries to flair but the tips are just stuck. He is eating and he looks fine and still interacting like always. Please help i hate seeing him like this.
arin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #2 
arin

Im so confussed i checked to see if it might be velvet but i really can't tell what im seeing may only be his coloring....been doing some research but i am finding alot of different answers. My local pet store said that he is stress out from so many water changes and i should just leave the water alone for a week or so and his finns should unstick. this doesn't sound right i know his water gets dirty i can smell it. really wish i knew what to do
Old 03-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #3 
Sea Dragon

Stress may be a big factor here. Is there a photo you can show?
Sea Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #4 
djembekah

one 50% and one 100% a week should be okay
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:02 AM   #5 
earthworm88

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin View Post
I got my first betta fish about a week and half ago. He is in 1.5 gallon tank with a filter. i have been doing a partial water change every second day and i did 100% water change last night. i noticed that his fins are stuck together at the tips. he tries to flair but the tips are just stuck. He is eating and he looks fine and still interacting like always. Please help i hate seeing him like this.
From what you have described, it sounds like fin melt to me. This may have been due to the poor water condition he was in for a long time at the pet store. Pictures will help to determine exactly what you mean, so see if you can take a close up picture of the issue in question.

Also, for a 1.5 gal, I would strongly suggest two 100% water change weekly (filter or not). If it is confirmed fin melt, the general conservative guideline is to treat with aquarium salt. pre-mix 1 tsp of salt with 1 gal of conditioned water. Leave your betta in there, and change and premix above everyday for water change for the next 10 days. Basically what your betta really need is pristine water to get back on his fins

Good luck!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #6 
arin

Here are a cupple of picture of my handsome little man
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #7 
earthworm88

photos not very clear, but it appeared to be fin melt to me. Take a closer look yourself, do the fins look "ropey" or bunched up and melted looking at the end? If yes, I would just start by changing the water more frequently, probably 100% every other day assuming your betta doesn't get too stressed out or at least do the twice weekly 100% water change if your betta easily stressed.

Good luck!
Old 03-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #8 
arin

ok so i tried to get some better pictures with my cell phone and well they are not better but i noticed that he has a gold coloring on him. Could it be velvet or just his natural coloring?

Sorry i know the pictures are not good but any ideas would be great. Oh as of today he is still eating and swimming but resting alot too.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2012, 12:00 AM   #9 
earthworm88

The gold coloring you will generally see around the belly and gill plates is normal, but since it's a new fish, I would suggest just keep an eye on it for now, but I think that's just part of his natural coloring. The second to last picture showed the melting a bit more. Just be sure to keep the water pristine. If after one week of no improvement or change, I would probably do the aquarium salt treatment.

Good luck!
Old 03-28-2012, 01:20 AM   #10 
Tikibirds

If the gold you are talking about is what I see near the gills/fins that I think its normal. I had a blue HM and he had the same thing. it freaked me out for a bit too. Usually you wont see velvet unless you shine a light on it. I would keep an eye on him just in case we are wrong.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote